Security Installer Community

Hiring Apprentices

I've had no end of grief on installs etc in the past because the guy selling knows bugger all about the real world,no hands on experience of running cables and the like, I'd have thought a salesman/surveyor with tool knowledge would be better.

Really, why didnt you get him to sell wireless stuff

We have had loads of problems with young lads. Infact one is on very very thin ice at the moment.

You're not asking the right questions in the interview

We had one for 4 months and iv never seen or met such a time wasting little cretin in my life.

Then one day i asked him to install 8 redwalls onto Altron Towers..the cable was all there to be connected etc.

Left him to it thinking "what could he do that would go wrong?"

I passed the site an hour later and he is still at the same pole drilling away and when i asked what was going on he replied "I cant drill the pole and iv been through 4 drill bits"

Upon investigation and a slap to the back of the head he was using masonary bits and they were my De Walt masonary bits from the 40 piece set.

You may say oh give the lad a break but i had marked up " metal drills" etc on his set just incase he couldnt read.

The next week if i remember right we were having problems getting cable through a long duct and it was pissing it down, him one side and me the other.

Im trying to get the cable through shouting "have you got anything yet" and there is no reply so walk round and the little idiot is sitting in my van with it running, radio on and eating his sandwich from his packed lunch box muumy had made him!!!!!

After that my mate gave up his plumbing business as he got done over about cash with a housebuilder and he has been with us nearly 4 years.

Trained him up from the start and never had a problem since but you do get the occasional fallout but i think that is good as both of us just want the job done and have a laugh about it over a beer at the weekend.

!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had no end of grief on installs etc in the past because the guy selling knows bugger all about the real world,no hands on experience of running cables and the like, I'd have thought a salesman/surveyor with tool knowledge would be better.

I agree or once he has got you in there, eng checks his design on site before quotation to customer.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to try and find someone I know this time.

Best way to do it, a family friend took me on when I left school, spent 11 years with him, it was just 1 to 1 training, it was no easy ride, as well as college work, I was made to write up reports on everything we done, and what I had learnt that week.

I often wondered when I was at college how some of the boys ever got a job in this trade.

Archived