Security Installer Community

Hiring Apprentices

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be posting this so let me know if it isn't but it's about employing an apprentice.

We have not done it before and would be interested in taking one one but not sure how we would pay them.

Is there somewhere to go to get some guidance or is anyone prepared to give me some ideas of what you pay your apprentices and what you offer?

Obviously they would need time off for study so do you pay them only when they are working?

What other training do you offer e.g. sending them on courses on full pay

What about their college fees? Do you pay those and have agreement in place to keep them on?

Would be good to hear from apprentices too to see what they get and what they would like to get so we get a rounded discussion of ideas to consider.

Obviously location is important so if you can, tell us where you are.....

Thanks!

You only have to pay the dogs £2.60 p/h if they are under 19 or over 19 and in the first year of apprenticeship. At the minute you can get a £1500 grant as well.

Joking apart thats the minimum, you have to give them what you are happy with. We are taking one on soon and will do it on a 4 week trial basis and then adjust the wage to suit.

so million to one shot ?

You would think so but last lot of interviews I narrowed it down to 2 and both were really good lads I could of taken them both on if I was honest. I am thinking about looking for a salesman next, but I have a feeling that wont be so easy as salesmen have a tendancy to tell you what they think you want to hear, I havent met a good salesman that isnt big on bull.

I do have an ex-employee/engineer that has expressed an interest, he's a nice enough lad but I am not sure about employing ex-staff, whenever Ive done it in the past Ive ended up getting my fingers burnt. Also I dont think engineers make very good sales people thats why this industry is in the shape its in now

I've had no end of grief on installs etc in the past because the guy selling knows bugger all about the real world,no hands on experience of running cables and the like, I'd have thought a salesman/surveyor with tool knowledge would be better.

I've had no end of grief on installs etc in the past because the guy selling knows bugger all about the real world,no hands on experience of running cables and the like, I'd have thought a salesman/surveyor with tool knowledge would be better.

Sounds familiar that Richard.

Archived