Security Installer Community

Cat 5 Termination

modernjim

Looking for best and neatest way of getting 12v onto the cat5 @the DVR end.Last[and first ]one i did was to teminate the video intd the balun then chock block the 12v None to pleased with result.Got a few CCTV jobs coming up so any ideas welcome

We use multi-way Baluns at the DVR, taking 4 feeds over a RJ45 terminated Cat5 to a PSU. At the PSU, we join the appropriate pairs to the camera feeds on one pair (Orange), use two more pairs for live & neutral (Brown & Blue, keeps it simple) and then use the remaining pair (Green) for eithe RS485, or a Second adjacent camera if appropriate.

If needed, a pair of Cat5's can bring both power and 6 Channels of video to a location, assuming the cameras are fairly low current consumption.

The multi-way baluns we use don't have a huge amount of cable, so we do tend to group them in a set of 4 channels to keep things neater.

Be nice if the 4 way dvrs had twisted pair inputs instead of BNC's and built in 12v outputs

then just twisted pair inputs on the bigger dvr's

We pretty much always use twisted pair these days for analogue, but i suppose a bnc option would still be needed for old stuff and active baluns

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

We use these when we take a 20 pair from 1 buiding to another and then break out in cat5's

http://www.millsltd.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=mills.products&category_id=213&Itemid=26

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived