Security Installer Community

New Alarm Installation - Design Layout Advice

27motorhead

Dear all

I’m in the middle of some serious renovation of our property and I’m currently rewiring (under the guidance of a neighbour who’s a qualified spark and will sign off all the work) along with pretty much everything else before plastering commences in mid April.

Been thinking for a while about putting an alarm in and now’s the ideal time to get all the wires in place before the plastering deadline. Please see PDF for design layout.

We’ve got x2 dogs (Labrador & whippet size) and a cat so decided to go for shock/vibration sensors rather than PIR’s to allow the pets some freedom to roam whilst we are out. We are also in a Conservation Area so have single glazed timber framed windows throughout so this is another reason for utilising shock/vibration sensors.

I’m mainly after advice on number of shock sensors for the lounge and dining room bays which are approx 2.3m across (see photos). There was a previous system installed with shock sensors (installation must have been late 80’s - early 90’s) and it had x4 sensors for each bay which I think was excessive. Obviously technology has moved on somewhat!!!

In the design layout I’ve put x4 sensors for each bay but I think I could probably get away with x2.

Still unsure on exactly what panel but been leaning towards a Texacom Premier 24 which should provide me with everything I need.

Everything will be hardwired apart from the link to the shed. As at the time of burying the armoured power cable and water supply 2 years ago I stupidly forgot about the inclusion of alarm cables. I suppose I could run it along the hedge in conduit but I’m a fussy bugger for having cables out of sight!

Other modifications I see would be using a combined shock sensor and door contact on the side door as this is half glazed therefore vulnerable to attack. I’m a bit worried about the shock sensor element as the cat flap is fitted to this door thus could cause false activation.

The wiring shown isn’t definitive at all - it’s just a starting point to help me sense check and try and create meaningful zones without having every sensor/window on a separate zone. Although if this does end up being the case it’s no big issue as long as the panel can accommodate it which the Premier 24 will with additional expander.

All your comments and advice is most welcomed.

Thanks for reading a rather monstrous first post :)

Tim

alarm_layout.pdf

post-31573-0-43942100-1298931744_thumb.j

post-31573-0-57943200-1298931757_thumb.j

good drawing,

you can't have 4 x eol devices on circuit

I’m currently rewiring (under the guidance of a neighbour who’s a qualified spark and will sign off all the work) along with pretty much everything else before plastering commences in mid April.

he should not cert the install

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

good drawing,

you can't have 4 x eol devices on circuit

Thanks Mr. Happy

No worries, should of realised that one. Don't think I'll need the x4 shock sensors. So on the dining room (zone 5 on layout) I can easily combine x1 sensor with one door contact for the left side and repeat this for the right side to create x2 circuits vs. the x1 illustrated.

I have no problem with increasing number of circuits as wiring is easy with bare brick and exposed joists (all pre-drilled) and alarm cable is a joy to use compared to 10mm T&E and armoured!

Good diagram!

I would split the zones and cabling up alot more.

Zones are normally for each device not an area. Double door contacts could be put on the same zone.

I would say 16 zones in the house so a Panel plus an expander. Then an expander in the garage to run the 3 zones there, plus the two shed zones.

This would mean a Premier 24 is getting a bit full.

Maybe a Premier 48 would be better due to more space, more features, the possiblity of setting the garage and shed seperate.

Also the Premier Range can have a text messager plugged inside the panel. (COM2400)

Also is it worth having more keypads? (front door/back door/garage)

Is there protection upstairs on the landing?

Looking at the windows I would consider three or four shock sensors. Better to have more on a lower sensitivity then less on a high sensitivity IMO.

nearly said that last night but couldnt be assed.

Had a delivery dropped off yesterday and was left with a 'sparkie' opposite. Thought he had finished the job, so asked him what he was doing.

Building inspector wont issue cert until he swaps the bathroom fan for 12v and there are no smoke alarms.

He was then mumbling and moaning about these NEW regs, what a twa*

So i went in the bathroom, he's only stuck a 230v fan IN the shower enclosure, the nob.

Then he started telling that these smoke alarms are (starts trying to remember the word), i said - interlinked - yeah thats its, if one rings so do the others, FFS i said dont tell us anymore.

the nonce who has done this house up has employed every bottom end trades person he could find.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Archived