Security Installer Community

New Alarm Installation - Design Layout Advice

27motorhead

Good diagram!

I would split the zones and cabling up alot more.

Zones are normally for each device not an area. Double door contacts could be put on the same zone.

I would say 16 zones in the house so a Panel plus an expander. Then an expander in the garage to run the 3 zones there, plus the two shed zones.

This would mean a Premier 24 is getting a bit full.

Maybe a Premier 48 would be better due to more space, more features, the possiblity of setting the garage and shed seperate.

Also the Premier Range can have a text messager plugged inside the panel. (COM2400)

Also is it worth having more keypads? (front door/back door/garage)

Is there protection upstairs on the landing?

Looking at the windows I would consider three or four shock sensors. Better to have more on a lower sensitivity then less on a high sensitivity IMO.

Thanks sixwheeledbeast

Separate of sensors sounds good to me, good job alarm cable to cheap compared to T&E with all the additional cabling required. Like I mentioned all the downstairs ceilings are down and joist drilled so this isn't really much of a problem. My Fein Multimaster will come to the rescue again chopping out all the channels into the timber window frames to hide the cabling!

Regarding Keypads, the house is pretty small to be honest and you can only enter via front or side door. The rear french doors can only be opened from the inside as they're too thin to fit a mortice lock or similar as the door structure would be too compromised.

Although a benefit of having keypad in kitchen (which side door opens to) would be when bringing in the dogs after walking as we'll keep them in the back of the house until they've cleaned off enough so this would save us having to go into the hall and back.

One in garage is also a consideration as my wife and I both cycle to work so sometimes put bikes in garage before we unlock the house. Once house renovations are done we should hopefully be getting out the motorbike again so alarm panel inside garage sounds like a good thing.

No protection upstairs currently. I suppose there's a very small risk of someone climbing onto one of bay windows and trying to get into the bedroom windows above, but we would of have to of left a windows open for them to gain access this way. Some PIR's in the bedrooms would cover this off as the dogs would be kept out of these when the house is alarmed.

I agree with sensors on windows though. Been reading up as much as I can and not convinced by some of the literature to be honest. The old system had x4 sensors per bay and this was a professional and monitored alarm. It was certainly well installed in terms of neatness wiring and careful fitting of all the sensors. Every single door of the house was alarmed but the guy did have over £1,000,000 worth of violins in it on occasions. Sadly we found nothing, not even a bow inbetween the floor boards or up the loft (apparently worth 100k+) but did find some Alcohol Anonymous books...

The old system had x4 sensors per bay and this was a professional and monitored alarm.

in the good old day's 10 sensor on circuit were'nt uncommon, your panel won't support it as it needs the 17k ish for antimask

but the guy did have over £1,000,000 worth of violins in it on occasions...

must have been an insurance requirement so he could not fiddle them......

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

engineer and comedian, obviously got a few strings to your bow :P

We also found a nice big blood stain on one of the carpets that has soaked right through to the floorboards below...

Glad you can amuse yourselves with posts from us pesky DIYers :)

Not a problem.

Definitely consider protection upstairs even if it's only on the landing (bare in mind your pets).

It is normal to protect upstairs rooms that are accessible off and extension or bay window.

It is better to install more cables now then not have them after plastering. You can always "loose" the cable if you no longer need it.

If you have considered all that I have mentioned you may require a power supply too.

A Texecom PSU200XP is a power supply that will also provide 8 extra zones (it has a built in expander)

Control Equipment wise I would fit:-

Texecom Premier 48

Texecom PSU200XP (fitted adj Panel)

Texecom 8XP (2x Garage/Upstairs)

Texecom COM2400 (fitted in the panel for text messaging)

Texecom LCD (3x Front Door/Side Door/Garage Door)

Texecom 8XP-W (8 Zone Wireless Expander for shed kit)

We also found a nice big blood stain on one of the carpets that has soaked right through to the floorboards below...

nothing to worry about, I guess it's just where the previous owner slit their own throat & died..... did you get the house cheap for a reason ?

tortured soul of violin mechanic as sitting tenant perchance ?

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

Not a problem.

Definitely consider protection upstairs even if it's only on the landing (bare in mind your pets).

It is normal to protect upstairs rooms that are accessible off and extension or bay window.

It is better to install more cables now then not have them after plastering. You can always "loose" the cable if you no longer need it.

If you have considered all that I have mentioned you may require a power supply too.

A Texecom PSU200XP is a power supply that will also provide 8 extra zones (it has a built in expander)

Control Equipment wise I would fit:-

Texecom Premier 48

Texecom PSU200XP (fitted adj Panel)

Texecom 8XP (2x Garage/Upstairs)

Texecom COM2400 (fitted in the panel for text messaging)

Texecom LCD (3x Front Door/Side Door/Garage Door)

Texecom 8XP-W (8 Zone Wireless Expander for shed kit)

Thanks again for the help and advice, it's most appreciated! Will try and get my head around it all this weekend after I've swapped over my central heating circuits over... it's an exciting life at the mo!

I feel an amended drawing coming on, the current one is now totally obsolete!

nothing to worry about, I guess it's just where the previous owner slit their own throat & died..... did you get the house cheap for a reason ?

Yes! Subsidence!!! :) and it still wasn't THAT cheap!!!

tortured soul of violin mechanic as sitting tenant perchance ?

He's actually a world famous conductor whose returned to his native Finland... Give it 50 years and we could get a Blue Plaque on our house...

Archived