Security Installer Community

Graded Door Contacts

approved has nothing to do with it, it`s because they are rough as a badgers bits ..............

That about sums it up. I very rarely see alarms that are to regs, approved or otherwise ..... on take-overs I don't think I've ever seen even 1 install that was correct. Us guys on here try to do it right, but that isn't typical.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so does it appear that the issues that used to exist with G3 contacts have been designed out?

aaron

does the non immunity of the knight G3 bother you long term or have you gone down that road as a company? ie stardardised on tampers for 'masking'

We were sick of knights due to build quality etc they are cheap and nasty IMO. As for sending mask as tamper etc. can be a pain i guess as getting a intermittent tamper fault becomes harder to find.

It was more of a temp fix, as knights were ****, and just kind of stuck as we have had little to no problems with them.

That about sums it up. I very rarely see alarms that are to regs, approved or otherwise ..... on take-overs I don't think I've ever seen even 1 install that was correct. Us guys on here try to do it right, but that isn't typical.

Agreed, most go with the old 'what they don't see/know won't hurt them' Refering to the customer/inspector.

How long have you been using knight's Paul? Maybe they have got better, we used to use them for everything, PA's etc and had nothing but trouble due to poor build quality.

We have been using CQR grade 3 surface contavts for at least 2 years now and had very few problems infact its almost all we fit even if the job is grade 2 or a BS take over. We tested a few knight contacts about 2 years ago and over 1/2 went hi-res within the 1st 6 months.. costing us ££££

We have been using CQR grade 3 surface contavts for at least 2 years now and had very few problems infact its almost all we fit even if the job is grade 2 or a BS take over. We tested a few knight contacts about 2 years ago and over 1/2 went hi-res within the 1st 6 months.. costing us ££££

whats the model number?

• 2 months later...

ah thought so - cheers

Hi Gents,

I'm new to this forum, I originally came on to see any reactions to the new BS8243 standard, but stumbled accross this thread as it is clearly of interest to me. As I am the MD of Knight Fire and Security (formerly Knight Plastics).

It appears that a couple of you had problems with our Grade 3 contacts a few years ago. For that I wholeheartedly apologise. We were pushed into manufacturing 'biased' contacts by a big customer who wanted to make an immediate change when EN50131-2-6 first came into effect and made (a well-meaning, but mistaken) effort to produce this using the existing mouldings at the time. Fair to say it back-fired on us, as the BSIA gave everybody a further year to bring new products in, and for that year the magnetic immunity/interference detection was not required, despite the fact that we already had it.

The whole range has since been revamped, redesigned and the problems eradicated, and if any of you who have had problems with the original products want to e-mail me I can explain further - as I understand its not a place to promote our products, but the opportunity is there for you to get in touch so that I may possibly help make up any loss.

One point for James, who seems well up on all of this, immunity is not the only method of complying, both many of our G3 products and those of our competitors use magnetic interference detection to show that an interfering magnet has been brought into contact with the contact.

cheers Tim

Hi tim and welcome.

Re the g3 and immunity. I agree that immunity isnt the only way. And in some risks id prefer substitution detection rather than immunity or perhaps both?

But imho for general use i prefer the immunity route to design out as many service mistakes i can etc.

Thankyou for your comment on me being up on this, it is due to the bsia commitees i work on. But i only got involved after the contact issue so did miss a lot.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi tim and welcome.

Re the g3 and immunity. I agree that immunity isnt the only way. And in some risks id prefer substitution detection rather than immunity or perhaps both?

But imho for general use i prefer the immunity route to design out as many service mistakes i can etc.

Thankyou for your comment on me being up on this, it is due to the bsia commitees i work on. But i only got involved after the contact issue so did miss a lot.

Hi James,

Thanks, and yes I see your point. I have a feeling that we may have discussed this in the past over the phone ?

In our new contacts we have used both methods - mainly immunity with potted contacts and detection with the new terminal based surface ones.

The extent of the challenge faced by contact manufacturers is shown I beleive in the fact that the main players are still bringing out improved lines even now. After 20+ years of no change in design we have more than doubled our number of mould tools (to make the plastic housings), and I would expect that goes for the other contact manufacturers too. Its been an interesting learning experience !

Archived