Security Installer Community

Dragging My Scantronic Into The 21st Century!

pinter75

Guest old-hand
Thanks guys,

I should say that I have never been on a forum (and I have been about a bit) where everyone is so helpfull to the extent that I get bits throught the post that are normally hard to find, free!

Have we not mentioned the "catch" yet. Oh dear site admin is slow this week :P

with all your outputs (from the relays after your current limiting resistor) linked together then id suggest that will activate all inputs on your io board.

also you may need pull up/down resistors to force logic high or low on your board (if it dont have em already)

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hmm, either I have had too many beers tonight, or it will work.

The resistors act as pull ups, and when the relay closes it grounds the circuit and the input to the I/O board goes low. The code expects the pin on the I/O to go low to trigger the event. It works on the breadboard, but I will double check. If I don't use pull-ups the signal floats all over the place and I get rogue triggers.

What a refreshing change for someone to come on here and ask questions and take the replies in good spirit without snarling and accusing us of protectionism. Can we have this guy stuffed and mounted somewhere.

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

agreed ag

op

if you have a look at your drawing all your outputs after the resistors are connected together. How will that work? ie looking at that any one outpur triggers then all the inputs on the ethernet board will.

Also you have wired those resistors as current limiters not as pull ups.

i cant tell if you are switching + or - from that drawing but assume from your comments you are switching -

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hey Pinter75, love your project, right up my street :)

Don't mean to hijack your thread but what im about to ask is along the same lines.

I'm looking to build/program a device that can accept an output from say a "trigger header", that can be pulled either high or low, that will then pass a preprogrammed "AT Command set" through an rs232 output. Each seperate line will have a different AT command.

And what's needed for the TCP/IP stuff as I'd love to build a board like that!, can you program atmega's or did you use a pre written program/device?.

Hey Pinter75, love your project, right up my street :)

Don't mean to hijack your thread but what im about to ask is along the same lines.

I'm looking to build/program a device that can accept an output from say a "trigger header", that can be pulled either high or low, that will then pass a preprogrammed "AT Command set" through an rs232 output. Each seperate line will have a different AT command.

And what's needed for the TCP/IP stuff as I'd love to build a board like that!, can you program atmega's or did you use a pre written program/device?.

Well with an Arduino taking inputs in digitally High/Low or analog 3.3v (0 - 700 *as interperated by the ATMEGA) or 5.0v (0 - 1024*), then based on if statements spitting out an AT command over rs232 is easy peasy! I can easily add a few lines of code to get my Scantronic monitor outputting over TCP/IP and rs232 at the same time.

The beauty about the Arduino project is that you code it using an IDE, that is based on C++. Have a look at http://www.arduino.cc & http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage. There are loads of libraries already written to do cool stuff like serial, servos etc... To write to the serial port you simply code: Serial.print("Hello World!");

As for the TCP/IP, I am using a library that comes with the "Shield". Shields are the modules that you plug onto the host board to avoid trailing wires and what not. The library I am using is not based on the full TCP/IP stack, but is good enough for very simple webpages (as long as they fit into 1.5k). There are other official Ethernet boards that support the full TCP/UDP protocol, but the one I have was

Archived