Security Installer Community

Dragging My Scantronic Into The 21st Century!

pinter75

cool let me know the ip

in fact dont worry

you might want to consider the security implications of this ie i can turn you bell off. I havnt tried but how secure is this web server? Will you allow disarm through it? also can i have you address please?

;)

you get my point hopefully. Be very very careful with this, security has to be very tight

post-17355-1236343430_thumb.jpg

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

cool let me know the ip

in fact dont worry

you might want to consider the security implications of this

I think you should consider the possibility of somebody else accessing your system but overall I think this project is fantastic.

Many of the worlds greatest innovations have come from people experimenting with things like this and on a shoestring budget.

Whatever the outcome congratulations on your spirit, I can see many low cost applications for home automation using web based technology and do intend, when I get time, to use similar technology to control my heating.

I would love to be able to turn it on remotely because of the irregular hours I keep and although there are commecial products available I would rather do something for myself.

lawandorder

Yes its a great idea there are systems that do it now. But as above has shown i can currently turn his bell off if i wanted too. So anyone could do that. If someone turns your heating on as you had a vulnerability in your system then not the end of the world. If someone turns your alarm off... little bit more serious isnt it.

im not saying dont do it, im saying your using something that is not designed to be a secure device to control a security system. Im sure with little work it could be easily compromised, even if it had a basic password (that it currently doesnt have)

again all im saying is be sure its secure as secure webservers get compromised how will this module protect itself from attack.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

lawandorder

Yes its a great idea there are systems that do it now. But as above has shown i can currently turn his bell off if i wanted too. So anyone could do that. If someone turns your heating on as you had a vulnerability in your system then not the end of the world. If someone turns your alarm off... little bit more serious isnt it.

im not saying dont do it, im saying your using something that is not designed to be a secure device to control a security system. Im sure with little work it could be easily compromised, even if it had a basic password (that it currently doesnt have)

again all im saying is be sure its secure as secure webservers get compromised how will this module protect itself from attack.

I agree with you Redbull, if you are going to bring a 9100 into the 21st century you do need security to match.

Don't worry, for the moment the only devices allowed to access this will be from a certain mac address pool (when live and connected to the alarm). There is no client/server autentication yet because it is justa proof of concept.

Even if you do manage to gain access to the system, you will only be able to turn off the external bell, not the 2 inside the house. It was designed as a notification system only, not full blown panel access.

I added the extrnal bell option so I don't pi$$ off my new neighbours if the alarm does trigger. You will be able to hear the inside bells, but not enough for it to get on your nerves. By the time I get notified about the alarm that has triggered, all 3 sirens will be going.

As for turning on the central heating, that should be easy :-) If you want just an on off feature then I see no reason why this could not be done in an afternoon.

Don't worry, for the moment the only devices allowed to access this will be from a certain mac address pool. There is no client/server autentication yet because it is justa proof of concept.

Even if you do manage to gain access to the system, you will only be able to turn off the external bell, not the 2 inside the house.

I added the extrnal bell option so I don't pi$$ off my new neighbours if the alarm does trigger. You will be able to hear the inside bells, but not enough for it to get on your nerves. By the time I get notified about the alarm that has triggered, all 3 sirens will be going.

As for turning on the central heating, that should be easy :-) If you want just an on off feature then I see no reason why this could not be done in an afternoon.

I'm sure you're right. My current heating controller has a button which simply toggles the heating on or off, it does have timer functions as well but the button over rides the timer.

My plan is to connect a pair of relay contacts to the button so as long as I can send a "one shot" to the relay it should work.

Also I can drive a relay (or transitorised relay) from the LED output on the controller to give me an indication of status.

All I need is the ability to monitor the current on/off status and change it remotely either from a PC at work or from my mobile phone.

The code I have written will probably do exactly what you need :-)

It takes in status based on the input going high or low, so I would have a relay switching off when the led lights. This would pull the voltage down and trigger the server to display the status.

Similary, activating your heating panel, use the relays as you said. The board can output a 5v signal to drive the relay directly.

The code I have written will probably do exactly what you need :-)

It takes in status based on the input going high or low, so I would have a relay switching off when the led lights. This would pull the voltage down and trigger the server to display the status.

Similary, activating your heating panel, use the relays as you said. The board can output a 5v signal to drive the relay directly.

Just realised I don't need to hack the existing controller at all.

I can leave the controller as is but have it switched to manual then just use a relay with mains rated contacts to effectively short the output of the existing controller.

My heating is a basic pumped system so the controller just has a pair of voltage free contacts that switch live to the boiler.

Archived