Security Installer Community

Dragging My Scantronic Into The 21st Century!

pinter75

assuming you not going to replace anything but the control panel then not much. ie comparing like with like. If you compare working with what you have against a WHOLE new system then the cost comparison isnt really fair.

however i would say that while ip access is cool, most people prefer telephone access, (ie touchtone phone etc)

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Ahh, got ya. I did wonder what the engineer reset was for in the eng manual, and why after the alarm tripped it flashed called eng. Well you learn something new everyday (especially here).

Looks like I can re-purpose the 3rd relay and use it for something else...

& lol at the story, that is exactly why I want to keep my 9100, as it reminds me of the durability of a BBC micro (real reason, I am too skint to get a new system).

Actually talking of resetting the system remotely, I have been playing with the idea of hooking up a micro pro to act as a virtual keyboard. After all the key pad is a 4x4 matrix. I can use 6 I/Os to replicate the button presses...

Must stop.........

Engineer reset was brought about because in the really old days before it existed an alarm would activate and user woud just reset with no real idea as to why it went off in the first place.

This is unacceptable in a commercial environment and wasted a lot of police time so engineer reset was introduced (on police calling systems) the idea is that an engineer would establish why the alarm had activated and carry out any repairs before resetting the system.

The down side to this is that most false alarms were caused by simple things such as a member of staff straying from the entry route or forgetting their code.

Remote reset was brought in so a reset could be done remotely if the cause of the activation was clear.

I would be interested to see the results of a remote keypad "hack", I have never even considered it but I'm sure it's possible.

Keep us up to date!

assuming you not going to replace anything but the control panel then not much. ie comparing like with like. If you compare working with what you have against a WHOLE new system then the cost comparison isnt really fair.

however i would say that while ip access is cool, most people prefer telephone access, (ie touchtone phone etc)

Hi,

I know see where you are coming from regarding a new panel. As I don't really know anything about newer systems I don't have much to go on. I was at an alarm company today picking up a few bits and bobs and they demo'ed a new panel to me. It has wireless zones, rfid entry, full programming over modem etc... All this for an actually cheap price! So now I understand why some of you say "just get a new panel", well eventually I may have to do that. In the meantime it is play time.

:-)

Hi,

Software is finnished, here are the reported states and control options.

normal.png

Panel is in normal status, no alarms or tampers.

intruder.png

Intruder triggered alarm.

intruder_off.png

While in an alarm state, options to activate or deactivate items.

panic.png

Panic button pushed.

fire.png

Fire alarm triggered.

battery.png

Notification of low back-up battery.

I will be installing this later and hopefully videoing it in action.

Stage 2

Note: This is a "hack" project (for fun), just to see how far the 9100 can be bought upto date.

Wireless smoke alarms reporting to master base station reporting to the 9100.

On paper this is a rather easy mod. 6 commercially available smoke detectors talking to a switch IC, talking to a AM RF module. These in turn talk to a master base station that is addressable for 6 detectors (adding more zones is easy). For simplicity I don't need to report what zone has been triggered. The final output in event of a trigger goes to the fire/aux on the 9100.

smoke.png

Stage 3

Hacking the remote keypad to allow an extrnal control module. This works by sending the correct matrix sequence to the 9100. I have mapped out the matrix and breadboarded a proof on concept and all is good :-)

There is one primary aim for this project, allowing rf tags to set and unset the system. The rf reader talks to the atMega, which talks to the 9100 remote keypad interface. The atMega stores proedures for entering the user keycode.

One feature I have also thought about is auto programming. When I power down and have to remove the NVM for whatever reason, I have to sit there and punch in all the engineer codes and settings again. With the keypad interface, push one button and it will automatically send all the keypad presses to the 9100. Hey presto and reprogrammed system.

keypad.png

And here is my test mule an MX48 I got bundled when I bought a new remote keypad to replace the one the previous occupants damaged.

workinpro.JPG

keypad1.png

Keypad schematic.

A speedy update to this project. I have the remote keypad interface on a breadboard. Just waiting for some components to arrive before testing.

I also need to source a wireless bridge for the ethernet interface module, but it is all hooked up to the 9100 , just not reporting to the net.

A speedy update to this project. I have the remote keypad interface on a breadboard. Just waiting for some components to arrive before testing.

I also need to source a wireless bridge for the ethernet interface module, but it is all hooked up to the 9100 , just not reporting to the net.

Have a look for a La Fonera, buffalo whr-g54 whr-g124, or some linksys's. and put DD-WRT on it and use it in repeater mode.

Howdy,

I got the bits I needed to complete the 1st stage of the keypad hack (some cheap opto couplers off eBay, less than the cost of a pint of milk).

Here is a YouTube video of it in action. The software you see, is just something I coded to make sure I had the right delays and key matrix info. It will be replaced by an RFID reader.

Enjoy.

Archived