Security Installer Community

Setting Up For Weekend Work

m240381

Lots of BUSINESS experience, but not in Alarms, as I said; but you omitted that, completely changing the meaning....

So WTF do you participate in a security forum, it has always baffled me?

Dave

So WTF do you participate in a security forum, it has always baffled me? Dave

I've got more challenging things to be baffled by :lol:

Isn't the name a clue? Amateur DIY alarm installer, find the subject interesting and want to know more.

I've learnt a hell of a lot along the way, and try to give something back whenever I can.

I got a good welcome when I started, despite asking some pretty dumb (in retrospect) questions.

Nowadays the greetings to Newbies are rather more variable............. :angry2:

So WTF do you participate in a security forum, it has always baffled me?

Dave

Dave, Dave, Dave, there are lots of non industry people on here giving good advice on relevant subjects, although security may not be their first line profession they do give invaluable input. I believe that it is good to look at things from a fresh view and not some of the old stick in the muck codgers in the industry, you know, breath of fresh air and all that.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

I am looking at working for myself at the weekend installing domestic intruder alarms. I am currently qualified as an electrician and hold 16th edition. Do i require part p before i start to install a fused spurs, also to a need to be self cert.

More importanly what is the advice on setting up. Do i sign up for a limited company. I will be working at my current job during the week. Basically to put it bluntly what do i need to set this up

Come on chaps time to leave it !

do a search !

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5278

m240381

Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:28 pm Post Subject: Socket conduit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it nessessary to use conduit when installing new sockets and doing a re-wire

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6047

m240381

Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:48 pm Post Subject: split load consumer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What fuses go on which circuit. I have upstairs lights, downstairs lights, upstairs sockets, downstairs sockets, Cooker, Alarm, garage, Shower, Utility room and immersion heater. I would like to know which circuit each of these go on in a split load consumer unit.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

andy, while i try to help diyers that want to have a go in thier own house, i think 'aving a go' in someone else's is a different subject. Im sure no-one on here is unsure of my position on this but its a professional market and should be treated as such, but everyone has to start somewhere. I think all this bickering between us, and you andy saying that comments are not helpful etc is not helpful, while i think your a good guy i think your wrong to jump on some of us when we dont help. Somethings shouldnt be helped

But to the OP i think you have some info for thought and dont take this decision lightly. People expect far more from you than you might expect them too.

James

James, I'm not sure I said anything much controversial at all, actually, but there you go. And I didn't "jump on anyone" as far as I can tell.

The OP was, I thought, asking about setting up in the Alarms business, starting part-time with a view to going full-time, not "aving a go" as you put it.

And the main "reigning-in" comment was actually from Arfur - "hi all, now wind your necks in all of you, this is a forum and the guy just asked for some constructive input, not to be flayed alive on the cross of sanctimonious pillockry".

I certainly didn't say anything as strong as that!

Anyway, hopefully the OP can extract something useful from all these posts, there's a fair few difficult issues for him to contemplate methinks. Lets see if he comes back for more. :rolleyes:

too be fair to most electricians they may run alarm cable thru with the mains but i dont as i have taught from the beginning of the correct pratices not to run with the mains and also what areas the detectors are to be sited etc. so perhaps i am a lucky one and know more about alarm systems than most sparkies. but i dont think its fair that ALL sparkies run the alarm cables with the mains. also as i do alarms now more and morefor domestic i have invested in an act meter to help with servicing the batteries of systems i install (most sparks put the alarm in and walk away they dont drop test the battery or anything. ) and also another point i try and test the system how they should be tested and also do a 12 mnthly or 6 mn thly service when nessesary with paper work to follow, but most sparks wouldnt know about this testing or how to do it.

cjt

you obviousley go to more lengths than alot of electrical contractors and its down to good practice not to site alarm cables with mains ,however i have seen some cases where ,especialy on council properties ,the building control officer has had them re-wire the system due to this time saving way and no disrespect to yourself at all but not alot of sparkies that i know ,have actually tested or even heard of induced voltage which is a big cause of false alarms .

you obviousley go to more lengths than alot of electrical contractors and its down to good practice not to site alarm cables with mains ,however i have seen some cases where ,especialy on council properties ,the building control officer has had them re-wire the system due to this time saving way and no disrespect to yourself at all but not alot of sparkies that i know ,have actually tested or even heard of induced voltage which is a big cause of false alarms .

Agreed, how many times have you heard of sparkies thinking that alarm cables will cause problems to mains!!!! We dont want our cables going near mains, its AC that causes inducement NOT DC.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

i agree breff putting alarm alarm cables in dc with ac mains cables is not good practice and yuou will probably agree with this one but most electricians that put alarm systems in doesnt know why there are checks on that battery or even poses the right equipment to service cctv and alarms and yet they stick them in and just leave them.

cjt

cheers

We do a lot of pre wired installs and 9 times out of 10 its not a sparky who wires the job it's normally his/her(have'nt met any female sparks as of yet ) trainee who to be honest does'nt know his ar

If the guy's looking to eventually change career to that of a Security Installer then I don't see a problem with starting out gradually, and then when the security side requires a more serious investment of his time going full time. All installers have to start somewhere.

Most previous posts do seem to be off putting when 1st read, but do offer some good advice and an insight as to what will be required.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived