Security Installer Community

Setting Up For Weekend Work

m240381

James, I'm not sure I said anything much controversial at all, actually, but there you go. And I didn't "jump on anyone" as far as I can tell.

The OP was, I thought, asking about setting up in the Alarms business, starting part-time with a view to going full-time, not "aving a go" as you put it.

And the main "reigning-in" comment was actually from Arfur - "hi all, now wind your necks in all of you, this is a forum and the guy just asked for some constructive input, not to be flayed alive on the cross of sanctimonious pillockry".

I certainly didn't say anything as strong as that!

Anyway, hopefully the OP can extract something useful from all these posts, there's a fair few difficult issues for him to contemplate methinks. Lets see if he comes back for more. :rolleyes:

hi andy,

by my comment, i was hoping to intoduce a little common sense and replace the stupidity, but did i get it wrong as now it sure feels like it?

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

OK, so coming back to the OP's question:

Basically to put it bluntly what do i need to set this up

1 You need to purchase all the BS & EN regulations.

2 You also need public liability & efficacy insurance.

3 You then need to decide what equipment you will use and keep a stock of replacement items of almost everything you will be fitting.

4 You will need to thouroughly learn all the regulations, plus all the features of your equipment.

5 You will need a sound knowledge of security protection methods, plus insurance and Police requirements.

6 You will have to design a range of paperwork from risk analysis forms to maintenance contacts.

7 You will need to inform Inland Revenue of your business.

8 You will need all the necessary tools and equipment.

9 You will need to make sure your home can be used as a base for a business.

10 You will need to ensure your home and vehicle insurance permits business use.

11 You must check with your employer that you are not infringing your contract of employment.

12 You should make some arrangements for service cover for when you are unavailable.

13 You will need engineering, selling, administration, marketting, selling and business skills.

14 And a lot of luck!

Now can you see why I say that this is not a weekend job?

AG

and this post is a glowing example of being informative - pity it was so long :whistle:

:)

regs

alan

to be honest i am fed up with putting other people work right.

i was primarily employed as commissioning engineer and fix //.B.W.F.// ups. i havent earnt my company any money since i started 8 months ago due to sorting out other engineers customer complaints

time to get cracking on my own business me thinks

it comes to us all in time, and is why many will wan't to run their own business. i hated covering up poor workmanship or being forced to do sub-standard work or use poor equipment selected it seemed more on price than proven quality. 'rowing your own boat' is not always a bed of roses, but imo always very very satisfying.

regs

alan

So are you saying that I have given bad advise?

What would your advise be? A car, a set of tools and take it from there?... :hmm:

So what you are saying 100% of self-employed TRADE members are following 1 to 14 then :whistle:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

So are you saying that I have given bad advise?

I don't think j.paul meant that at all but more likely state of business run on so called professional companies..

Doesn't surprise me at all!

between you and i it's more the 'norm' than the exception.

regs

alan

I am saying that the point of this site is to help and encourage everyone involved in our profession to raise their standards.

I really do think anybody taking good money for providing security for other people have a duty to do so correctly.

ans so we come to //.National Installer.//!

regs

alan

hi andy,

by my comment, i was hoping to intoduce a little common sense and replace the stupidity, but did i get it wrong as now it sure feels like it?

regs

alan

Nope, I thought you were quite fair. I was just wondering why I was being "got at" (not by you) when actually EVERYTHING I said initially was information for the Original Poster and not aimed at anyone here at all (though commenting to him on their "style" :whistle: ).

Archived