Security Installer Community

Smart2 Dvr Screen Splitting

Steevo25

The massive file is because it is putting in a load of things it doesn't need. Last night I recorded about 20 seconds of footage from the remote viewer ( it took absolutely ages ). The file was about 70MB in size and the playback of the recorded file was just as it was displayed when recording ( about 10 seconds to every second of footage ).

To be completely honest, the remote viewer doesn't really bother me too much as I only ever use it for viewing live footage, but mine is the same as yours in that when burning to CD/DVD you cannot just say that you want 10 minutes, it just copies from the start time you specify until as much data as you can fit on a CD/DVD and then takes about an hour or so to do. On mine, if you do specify an end time then it automatically adjusts the start time to go as far back as it can.

I guess these things are sent to try us. On the plus side, the customer service I have had has been excellent. Both the dealer and SystemQ have got involved and are investigating it and giving me information updates. I am sure that given time, this will be a fantastic unit. I do accept that JPEG2000 creates massive files because it is a trade off between file size and quality. The smaller file size you have the worse the quality. To get excellent quality the file sizes must be bigger. But I can't understand how you can't download footage that goes into a file on the PC and plays back in realtime. Its a real pain when you want to look at a specific bit of footage remotely and the time setting on the slider bar is 30 seconds before the time you want to see and then you have to wait many minutes before you get to the bit you want.

Hi When i get in tongiht i will try the Triplex mode however i dont have any audio so can not test this.

Yes recording through Remote view is a nightmare it seems to play back so slowwwwwwwww e.g. not in real time. Also to i have a fast network at home and work in IT so this should not be a problem playing it accross the network.

Then the recording takes up a massive file. The time bar as you suggested would be nice to get rid of in an upgraded version so you can specify the time you want to search for.

I have tried the CD backup. I'm not sure if im going to have problems with this. I can put a start time in but it never allows me to enter a finsih time. However this maybe because it thinks it can fit it all onto a CD so why would i want to stop it early.

From reading the thread I concluded that the main issues are,

1- the audio loss in Triplex and

2- playback speed over a network. Live speed being ok if the network bandwidth is ok.

Answers

1- Audio

System Q Ltd.

Many thanks Paul for your explaination, the other issue I have is that when in Triplex mode, the playback on the main system ( not the remote viewer software ) is also not in realtime ( i.e. if you press the 'play' or 'q-play' button ). It takes about 4 seconds to play 1 second of video.

From the others on here, they are not experiencing this problem with playback whilst in Triplex mode.

Also, Service Engineer has said he is successfully recroding audio in Triplex mode as well as getting smoothe playback from the unit itself. Is this a thing that only the 16-channel version does as from the specifications, it appears that the 16 channel version is capable of 200 frames per second where as the 8 channel version is only 100 frames per second. This gives the impression that the 16-channel version has more power inside.

Best Regards.

Steve.

From reading the thread I concluded that the main issues are,

1- the audio loss in Triplex and

2- playback speed over a network. Live speed being ok if the network bandwidth is ok.

Answers

1- Audio

Service Engineer has said he is successfully recording audio in Triplex mode as well as getting smoothe playback from the unit itself.

I don't remember stating that, but actually i'm not able to record audio in Triplex mode, I can though hear the audio through the monitor speakers whilst viewing live.

And playback at the monitor is about 1/2 speed (2 seconds for every 1 second real time).

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Ok, so you are effectively getting exactly what I was getting apart from I cannot even hear audio through the speakers even in live ( in-fact the 'Audio' button on the remote is completely disabled ), also your playback speed is slightly quicker than mine through the monitor. Mine is a good 4 seconds to 1 second of video perhaps a bit longer.

Also when I playback footage that was recorded with audio it will not play until I switch back to Duplex.

I have misinterpreted what you said as I was under the impression yesterday that your one was working perfectly. My apologies for that.

So basically it looks as if I have no other option but to run mine in Duplex mode. Realistically this is not a True Triplex recorder. No where in the manual does it state this and neither does it state it in any of the specifications or advertising.

I don't remember stating that, but actually i'm not able to record audio in Triplex mode, I can though hear the audio through the monitor speakers whilst viewing live.

And playback at the monitor is about 1/2 speed (2 seconds for every 1 second real time).

Ok, so you are effectively getting exactly what I was getting apart from I cannot even hear audio through the speakers even in live ( in-fact the 'Audio' button on the remote is completely disabled ), also your playback speed is slightly quicker than mine through the monitor. Mine is a good 4 seconds to 1 second of video perhaps a bit longer.

Also when I playback footage that was recorded with audio it will not play until I switch back to Duplex.

I have misinterpreted what you said as I was under the impression yesterday that your one was working perfectly. My apologies for that.

So basically it looks as if I have no other option but to run mine in Duplex mode. Realistically this is not a True Triplex recorder. No where in the manual does it state this and neither does it state it in any of the specifications or advertising.

Hi Steve.

It

System Q Ltd.

my understanding of triplex was a unit that can

1 split screen live video

2 record all channels

3 playback

ie it can do all three at once, nothing to do with audio. I would have thought that audio would take one of the options away, ie it can record and playback images, but to record and play audio it would be a 'quadplex' or 'pentaplex'

dont know the unit mind

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

No apology is needed Steve, tbh i hadn't really noticed the playback delay as mine isn't set up to record at full frames so I wouldn't notice people moving in very slow motion like you can. But yes my delay doesn't seem as long as your 4 seconds per second live, but again if i were to record at full fps then i too might find this to be the case.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

my understanding of triplex was a unit that can

1 split screen live video

2 record all channels

3 playback

ie it can do all three at once, nothing to do with audio. I would have thought that audio would take one of the options away, ie it can record and playback images, but to record and play audio it would be a 'quadplex' or 'pentaplex'

dont know the unit mind

Hi James,

In the UK we used to use your description of Triplex when describing higher end multiplexes.

We found the main DVR manufactures (overseas) defined Triplex differently and we went along with it as the split screen is standard now.

So for us it means;

Simplex

System Q Ltd.

I am not really sure of the definition, I was just assuming that when something is said to be Triplex and that it has 4 audio inputs and 1 audio output that it would be able to record video, playback whilst still recording and be able to monitor remotely. Audio I would just assume as being part of the whole process.

Whatever the outcome of this I will be keeping my Smart2 just for the fact that the recorded footage is fantastic. I have been looking at many DVRs lately and even ones at twice the price do not produce the same quality of recorded footage that this one does.

The rest is really just a disappointment.

The main point of having a DVR is that the recorded quality should be as good as possible and despite the items I see as a fault, it lives up to its requirements more than 100% in that area.

From now on my one will be left in Duplex mode so that I can do all the things that I need to do. Its a shame that I cannot playback footage whilst still recording but this is purely an incovenience. Now I know this is a feature rather than a fault I will live with it. I don't particularly like the fact as I would have liked to have known this information before I purchased it, but I am more than happy with the results I get for the prime reason I installed CCTV in the first place.

Plus credit where credit is due. Although it is not 100% in all the areas I wanted, the customer service and dealer support has been second to none. I really would like to thank the staff ( especially Paul ) at SystemQ that have given it their full attention, and also the staff at www.tradecctv.com ( not sure if I am allowed to put a link like this on here but I am sure it will be removed if I cant ) that have also given me all the help that I need. This fact coupled with the quality means I will be keeping this unit.

Hi James,

In the UK we used to use your description of Triplex when describing higher end multiplexes.

We found the main DVR manufactures (overseas) defined Triplex differently and we went along with it as the split screen is standard now.

So for us it means;

Simplex

Archived