Security Installer Community

Smart2 Dvr Screen Splitting

Steevo25

No problem with the link to: www.tradecctv.com

Whatever the outcome of this I will be keeping my Smart2 just for the fact that the recorded footage is fantastic. I have been looking at many DVRs lately and even ones at twice the price do not produce the same quality of recorded footage that this one does.

Glad your keeping the unit regardless of your disappointment regarding the TRIPLEX operation. Personally though I don't have an issue with the TRIPLEX limitations. Even if it were just a Duplex unit, this is still the DVR i'd have purchased.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Now I have had some use of it I am inclined to agree with you. Yes there are limitations that I did not expect, but at the end of the day this DVR produces excellent quality images which is really what you want from a DVR.

One point I would like to add that maybe SystemQ could answer/investigate is that the manual clearly states that if you change to Triplex mode then the frame rate is reduced by 50%. In my eyes this 50% reduction means 50% less work for the electronics. This means that full Triplex should be possible keeping all the features as the resource issue explained above is effectively reduced by half. At the very least, the unit should be able to playback at full speed and the audio issue is gone because playing back would not have to play the audio if it is still recording ( or it could be made that way ). The audio recording is the least work for the machine anyway because JPEG2000 is very resource hungry in comparison.

I still think that firmware could be made to make full use of the potential of this machine without losing as much as it stands presently.

No problem with the link to: www.tradecctv.com

Glad your keeping the unit regardless of your disappointment regarding the TRIPLEX operation. Personally though I don't have an issue with the TRIPLEX limitations. Even if it were just a Duplex unit, this is still the DVR i'd have purchased.

that the manual clearly states that if you change to Triplex mode then the frame rate is reduced by 50%, In my eyes this 50% reduction means 50% less work for the electronics.

It could mean that whilst in triplex mode playback is reduced by 50%, meaning 50% slower.?

Which is roughly what i'm getting.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

It could I suppose. But its in the 'Recording' section of the manual and I did notice that when I was in Triplex mode the hard disk bar that shows how much hard drive space is left was moving a lot slower than it is now.

It could mean that whilst in triplex mode playback is reduced by 50%, meaning 50% slower.?

Which is roughly what i'm getting.

Just out of interest, are there different versions of remote software available ? I registered the dvr ddns on the jpeg2000 site and noticed they had some on-line replay software which looked similar in style to the remote viwer. Also if there are any updates please could you let us know on the forum.

Thanks

Darren

Yes there are different versions, I managed to find one that works with the Smart2. But it has the same problems as the one that comes with the Smart2. The reason being is that it is the firmware of the Smart2 that dictates which images are sent, the remote viewer just requests them so the actual viewing is almost identical. There is one called Viewer_J2K which works and during my searches I found a few others. It seems that a lot of these DVRs are similar as some of the screenshots I saw of some other JPEG2000 DVRs have exactly the same menu layout. In-fact, you couldn't tell them apart just by looking at the monitor.

I guess these must all use a similar chip which sort of tells me they will all behave very similar when it comes to features. So all these things I was complaining about that the Smart2 doesn't do is probably true of many others in the same league as well.

Just out of interest, are there different versions of remote software available ? I registered the dvr ddns on the jpeg2000 site and noticed they had some on-line replay software which looked similar in style to the remote viwer. Also if there are any updates please could you let us know on the forum.

Thanks

Darren

Archived