Security Installer Community

Public Panels

Public Panels  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should we relax our views on the information we give out on publically purchasable alarm control panels.

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way.

Someone owes me a Tub of popcorn and a large coke, that was like sitting thru The Sound of Music at the cinema.

Good choice of word there, Brevity.........i like it

cheers

PS i suppose if the panel is available to the public (sodding wholesalers) then we cannot really say no to the requests. Then again the requests should go to the wholesalers or they sholud give the tech back up themselves.

If not then call us out and we`ll happily use our experience to sort out a problematic panel, pir ect.

cheers

And for the record, there is 240VAC inside that panel. When you consider 9 people each year die from using their tounge to test a 9v pp3 battery, be careful in there please.

hi all, a little clarification by me as the waters are getting muddied again,

outright, i do not like the client to play with engineer settings so natuarlly restricted access to a manual is prefered, i achieve this by putting it inside the panel usually.

Inside the panel? Fire risk or what? I don't know if it has ever happened or not, but not worth the risk, also I thought that the "Professionals" here would have picked this up much sooner. I can't remember the correct regulation to quote but are we do not put paperwork in panels, do we?

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Inside the panel? Fire risk or what?

Apparently Arf arf does.

I did notice as im sure others did but its hard to keep up with his errors let alone his posts.

He also never puts panels in lofts but he says he always contacts the loft hatch to protect the panel.

He also says he uses confirmed detection/signals yet he isnt approved by either inspectorate to connect for police response.

I cannont be bothered to trawl the whole thread for more but rest assured they will be there somewhere........

Inside the panel? Fire risk or what? I don't know if it has ever happened or not, but not worth the risk, also I thought that the "Professionals" here would have picked this up much sooner. I can't remember the correct regulation to quote but are we do not put paperwork in panels, do we?

No we dont, but some work to different rules.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Guest mikeyv1

Hi,Im a normal member of the Public" ,as a DIYer i like the the fact that i have fitted my own alarm system and know how it works etc.I believe that engineer manuals shouldnt be given out to normal public as this type of information should imo be gathered from the manufacturer not a public forum where intruders could be reading and potentially be gathering the information they need to make their lives easier.Im aware to my fright the ease at which this type of information (ie manuals) can be attained and believe that making it harder in any way to gather this type of information is good start.I believe that the makers of this forums' decision to not give out manuals was a right one.As a DIYer it is my responsibilty to ensure a full alarm condition is activated well before the main panel can be reached and so i do to some extent agree that manuals could be given out ,however i believe if this is to happen ,it should be done through pm's only and only after a proffessional has "sussed" out the member of the public and their competenacy.I have welcomed all of the advice i have recieved on this site and dont believe the rules to this forum should change .P.s sorry for the length of this post. :whistle:

Hi,Im a normal member of the Public" ,as a DIYer i like the the fact that i have fitted my own alarm system and know how it works etc.I believe that engineer manuals shouldnt be given out to normal public as this type of information should imo be gathered from the manufacturer not a public forum where intruders could be reading and potentially be gathering the information they need to make their lives easier.Im aware to my fright the ease at which this type of information (ie manuals) can be attained and believe that making it harder in any way to gather this type of information is good start.I believe that the makers of this forums' decision to not give out manuals was a right one.As a DIYer it is my responsibilty to ensure a full alarm condition is activated well before the main panel can be reached and so i do to some extent agree that manuals could be given out ,however i believe if this is to happen ,it should be done through pm's only and only after a proffessional has "sussed" out the member of the public and their competenacy.I have welcomed all of the advice i have recieved on this site and dont believe the rules to this forum should change .P.s sorry for the length of this post. :whistle:

Compared to some, your post was sentance. :P

Now that a lot of what we once considered TRADE only panels are being sold by the likes of Screwfix and numerous online retailers, should we be re-thinking what information/advice we are willing to discuss in these public forums.?

Should the fact these panels are easilly purchasable by the public, and that most of these panels manuals are readilly available online at quite a few sites mean that any related queries should be up for discussion..?

for the sake of brevity

thats the orignal leeched from daves #1

my opinion, no bar to just DIY manuals is intended

what we once considered TRADE only panels are being sold by the likes of Screwfix ie they are still available to trade.

so all manuals are 'fair game' in the context of the op.

i also don't like the idea of users having engineer manuals willy nilly, but i think they have right to them if they ask but use at their own risk - get it signed for.

alarmgard keeps saying i avoiding the issue but has not stated why he feels we should not give them out - i just want to know why or how it would lower a ytems integraty, or is he like others being a protectionist - fine just want to know.

Was that the original question or was that one of your many digressions :yes:

in this thread alarmgard keeps sniping over what standards i use, yet i do not question his, strange as he has never seen my work so dismiss him as an ignorant ill informed creten.

Alan those people that do know me will know that I worked full time in London until last Summer and even no spend up to 15 days a month down there, so you may be suprised that I may know more about you and your installations than you may think.

At your age Alan I would have thought that resorting to name calling was extremely childish.

should i say what my standards are, well i have very high ones, so like it or lump it thats all i'm saying on it and i do not care a dead turkeys left tit for any more unwarrented silly sniping

so alarmgard your turn to answer the question

I will answer your question Alan once you have answered the one that I have asked what standards do you install to? The answer you have given is clearly that of a person who doesn't know the answer or possibly even in my opinion falls into the category of Cowboy installer.

When you consider 9 people each year die from using their tounge to test a 9v pp3 battery, be careful in there please.

Can you provide any reference to support this statement? I suspect its an urban myth.

The current will flow through the path of lowest resistance i.e. locally through the tongue tip only. The current pathway won't involve the heart. I don't see how it can kill a person.

Someone told me yesterday that your eyes close when you sneeze so that your eyeballs don't pop out - I didn't believe that either!

Allso

Someone told me yesterday that your eyes close when you sneeze so that your eyeballs don't pop out - I didn't believe that either!

Allso

Sounds feesable.

Archived