Security Installer Community

Public Panels

Public Panels  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should we relax our views on the information we give out on publically purchasable alarm control panels.

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care either way.

Now that a lot of what we once considered TRADE only panels are being sold by the likes of Screwfix and numerous online retailers, should we be re-thinking what information/advice we are willing to discuss in these public forums.?

Should the fact these panels are easilly purchasable by the public, and that most of these panels manuals are readilly available online at quite a few sites mean that any related queries should be up for discussion..?

Hi Dave

Really interesting article, the following is a personal view, I believe the trade is fearful of the future when they have no reason to be.

If a company does a good job regardless of them being a member of any trade body, custom will continue to flow.

The trade should not be afraid of screwfix or any other seller, why? the answer is easy, we all know it is not what system a person buys that makes a good alarm system it is the location of equipment and the setting up of the system etc which makes us within the trade 'the experts' and it is that information that we should not easily 'giveaway' plus remember that information is only gained from our experience in dealing with problems over decades and it that experience that is the REAL EARNER.

We have no reason to fear DIY competition because it is my experience that most DIYers are the people that have ALL the false alarm problems, which leads their neighbours to ensure that when they have their alarm system subsequently fitted because of the fear of crime they ensure they 'get it done properly'

Most DIYers fit systems that work initially then after 2 false alarm problems they never use it or turn to the expert's and thensorry they have to pay.

We all know the time waster's and we must learn to politely say the right thing.

I have been asked by many DIYers for help when their system's go wrong and I always say we can fit a proper system but it will cost you!! (especially buyers of the cheap wire free systems)

We have fitted at least 20 complete systems after the customers have experienced the wire free Rexxxxe and the problems of buying fitting and having 'No Idea' of what to do when a problem begin's time and time again especially when it is used the most when they go on holiday, and the neighbours are looking for blood upon their return, plus they have got the new

Guest Alarm Guard
I am constantly amazed at the alarm industry's fear of the future.

I agree. I keep saying that we are in the only industry I know of where competition can be good for business. The more bell boxes go up, the more the demand grows.

And DIY'ers don't worry me at all. We are more than happy to go out to a diy alarm installation and repair, upgrade or service it. The only proviso is that we decide what needs to be done. The more DIY installations, the more calls we get.

Damn wish id been here at the start of all this lol seems everyones getting a little too overheated about this subject :bruce_h4h:

So I propose this Who thinks we should give out manuals raise ure hand now ...................... Right People who dont think we should give out manuals raise ure hand now .....................

Right now thats done lets all go down the pub :gimme::ninja:

All comments in this post are my own views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

Guest Alarm Guard

I was in your town last week. If you see parking attendant No. 20 or No. 15, would you run them down please.

I was in your town last week. If you see parking attendant No. 20 or No. 15, would you run them down please.

For what reason?? i would like to know before i murder a horrid petty minded jobsworth traffic warden

Hang on a minute what more reason do you need lol :bruce_h4h:

All comments in this post are my own views and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer

Guest Alarm Guard

This is how 'jobsworth they were'

Having parked and paid for a few hours we were about to leave the town centre when we found a handbag in the road. It was full of money, bankcards, all the usual stuff.

So after a bit of detective work I got her number and rang it. She was extremely grateful and asked that I wait there (South Terrace) while she came down.

Then the parkies arrived and wanted to know why I hadn't paid for parking. I told them, but they said if I didn't pay they would book me. I explained the situation again and pointed out that I didn't want to be there... I had stopped to pick up the handbag and was now waiting for the owner, but they were not interested.. Pay or get booked.

I am usually placid, but I gave them a damned good verbal (No bad words) and they wandered off sheepishly. morons!

Good for you i had a similar situation i responded to a fire call and when i arrived along with 3 tenders i parked inbetween them went in and investigated fault came back out with station officer to find 4 traffic wardens not only booking me but booking tenders as well for parking on double yellows never mind the blues going

Its always money money money

Guest ALSEC

Best place for paperwork is inside the panel! How many people have actually known a a panel to catch fire becuase of paperwork inside it??

This is why paperwork should be inside the panel - one of my jobs is a high street chain distribution centre - Gal 512 with max all over the place - loads and loads of zones - no paperwork in sight anywhere!!

The only reference I have is the programming in the panel and when I go back on Thurs I will then write up a log book and mark plans (if I can scrounge some) and it will be stored inside the panel so I don't need to work this stuff out at 3 in the morning !!

Archived