Security Installer Community

Greedy Con Merchants

Guest rjbsec
We still haven't found out what the installer has said so he may come along, offer up his first born, a luxury yatch and 10k in used notes which would be a hard package to match when you add in the unlocking of an engineer code too.

Yes, I know it's unlikely but we don't have an facts so we don't know do we.

You are quite right, we don't know what the original installer might do, all we know is that he locked the engineer code and the result is at least two unhappy people, the man and his daughter - and we can only imagine what they will be saying to their friends about alarm installers!

Where is the original poster now!! one post light the touch paper and stand well back. :rolleyes:

Poor sod, he's probably scared off by you lot :!:

One question and there's 4 pages of acriminious argumentative replies.

I doubt he would even wade through it all, let alone understand it enough to reply to the issues raised.

To say the original question has been hijacked is putting it mildly. :'(

OK he was a bit strong, but what a welcome :!:

If anyone would have read my post earlier on your would see that I pasted a quote by this guy - who very clearly seems to be an alarm engineer - hence his angry post about other company's practices.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

If anyone would have read my post earlier on your would see that I pasted a quote by this guy - who very clearly seems to be an alarm engineer -
I have been in the NHS for 36 years as an electrician & then as Tech Planning Coordinator

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Alarm systems tended to be my baby,from Nurse call systems,panic attack & intruder alarms to mention just a few.The first alarm system I worked on was an Infra red beam across the pharmacy.

ok expert ;)

I have an 8 zone accenta panel installed about 5 years ago no problems with it at all last night it went off itself when it was'nt set the keypad indicated tamper only way to get it to stop was to set the system set of an alarm activation and then enter my code and reset.

Then today the siren outside out of the blue started making a high pitched bleeping sound all by itself no activation as the system was'nt set, again the only way to stop it was to activate an alarm and reset, anybody any ideas what the problem is, there was no indication on the keypad of a fault and I have no idea how to get it sorted its all very strange indeed.

Does anybody have an idea what could cause this. thanks for any advise.

but a week earlier he did not know the sab knackered :P

Tony I assume your retired hence filling your days tinkering with alarm for friends, family & neighbours.

This is getting very boring, we have presented two veiws (or rather a lot of one veiw and a couple of another) on the protection rites of installation companies. I asked the legal argument yesterday and their is no case to answer (unles you sell boxs) for installer who DESIGN intruder system, a modification to such design can not be exspected to be free.

Can we please close this topic. The Public are now fully aware of the arguments. The debate IMO should if required be moved to Trade.

Jef

Customers!

Guest rjbsec
a modification to such design can not be exspected to be free.

Nobody has ever suggested that a modification to the design/system should be free - what is at issue is the right of the owner to do it himself or get someone else to do it.

Absolutely and he will surely be adding to the income of some alarm installer who hopefully treats him better that the original one - it's all about relationships really.

Why has the installer treated him badly?

He paid for a system that has performed correctly untill Mr diy disaster fiddled about with it.

Just cos he wants to alter the spec dosn't mean he has the automatic right to.

Going back to the car, the installer of the alarm system is the equal to the manufacturer.

the installer chooses the parts to make up a system, just like the car manufacturer does the same.

There is NO difference between sport engine computers and the one fitted to the family car version apart from the programming so again your point is null and argument is invalid

I can reprogramme the car computer to be more powerfull but there again i know what i'm doing....

i know how to get round the manufacturers locks on several other electronic devices like mobile phones, viewing cards and dvd players.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest rjbsec
Just cos he wants to alter the spec dosn't mean he has the automatic right to.

Please tell me that you don't actually believe that and you are only saying it to be controversial - It's his alarm system and there is no contract in existence for heavens sake, of course he has the right to alter it!

Going back to the car, the installer of the alarm system is the equal to the manufacturer.

the installer chooses the parts to make up a system, just like the car manufacturer does the same.

There is NO difference between sport engine computers and the one fitted to the family car version apart from the programming so again your point is null and argument is invalid

No the manufacturer of the alarm is the manufacturer of the component parts - the installer designs the sytem according to the customers/insurers requirements but if the contract/maintenance is removed the customer is free to do what he wants with the system.

I can reprogramme the car computer to be more powerfull but there again i know what i'm doing....

i know how to get round the manufacturers locks on several other electronic devices like mobile phones, viewing cards and dvd players.

That has nothing to do with the issue of whether or not the customer has the right to use his system in the way that he wishes to when there is no other party involved with the responsibility for the performance of the system.

Archived