Security Installer Community

Greedy Con Merchants

But considerably more restrictive than an unlocked code to an installer.

That's a totally different ball game tho, you are talking about fairmanship, sorry in business if I can hinder a competitor I will do so and if that means locking a code then so be it.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Your spliting the system down to component parts, the customer bought a COMPLETE system. not a bag of bits. Just because the panel can have more detectors connected than was sold dosn't give the customer the automatic right to have them fitted.

I can unlock virtually any panel fairly easily so any argument about skills is also null.

He needs an EXPERIENCED eng that can unlock it, upgrading ANYTHING costs money.

Imagine going to the car dealers and buying a middle of the range car.

12 months later you decide you should have bought the sporty version, only difference is

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest rjbsec
Your spliting the system down to component parts, the customer bought a COMPLETE system. not a bag of bits. Just because the panel can have more detectors connected than was sold dosn't give the customer the automatic right to have them fitted.

I can unlock virtually any panel fairly easily so any argument about skills is also null.

He needs an EXPERIANCED eng that can unlock it, upgrading ANYTHING costs money.

Imagine going to the car dealers and buying a middle of the range car.

12 months later you decide you should have bought the sporty version, only difference is

That's a totally different ball game tho, you are talking about fairmanship, sorry in business if I can hinder a competitor I will do so and if that means locking a code then so be it.

and heres me thinking everyone was great mates.. :ninja: personally i help were poss,i have and still do show the engineer from whoever who takes one of my jobs over round the system and fill him in on past probs etc...without giving away any codes etc...its the fair thing to do..just remember you might take over one of his jobs..and the last thing you need is a nightmare takeover... :hmm: weve all had the takeover where theve nicked the log book and spec.not nice.. :fear:

Upgrading anything does cost money but fixing things so that it is not possible to easily make that upgrade is an unfair practice.

Microsoft is a great example with their certificate code

Your illustration of a car computer management system has no bearing at all on the situation with a locked engineer code - the non-sporty car is designed as such it is not designed as a sporty model. The control panel mentioned here is designed to be able to accept detectors on all zones if required, it doesn't need upgrading, yes it does by a technician it can handle what the owner wants it to do as long as it is DESIGNED to conforms to BS/EN DD243 etc and is maintained to prevent false alarms and he is willing to pay to expand it i must have missed that part he just doesn't want to pay the existing installer, he wants to do it himself so i didn

Customers!

Upgrading anything does cost money but fixing things so that it is not possible to easily make that upgrade is an unfair practice. It was a proffessionally installed system, proffessionally protected from tampering. Are all your systems rated as DIY?

Your illustration of a car computer management system has no bearing at all on the situation with a locked engineer code - the non-sporty car is designed as such it is not designed as a sporty model. The control panel mentioned here is designed to be able to accept detectors on all zones if required, it doesn't need upgrading, it can handle what the owner wants it to do and he is willing to pay to expand it - he just doesn't want to pay the existing installer, he wants to do it himself - now tell me legally why he should not be entitled to do that. He can do it! He just needs to learn how to, or pay someone who knows how to, and as this installation was a pro install not a DIY install. I suppose you now think that engineer manuals should be issued also?

I don't mean tell me that you object because its not you as the installer getting the money because you have fixed it so that he has to call you - I mean tell me why he should not legally have free acces to his alarm system when it is not subject to any contractural agreement.So you wouldnt mind if Joe P puts extra sensors on one of your installs incorrectly which then has your logo'd bell box ringing every few hours

Ever added software, a USB drive or a printer to your computer?

What if you had to call your supplier every time you had to do anything like that - you couldn't do it yourself, get a friend or the local PC repair man to do it because someone had "fixed" that you had to call them, even though its a simple thing that you are trying to do and you have paid for the PC in full?If the car arguement isnt reasonable neither is this!

I find it unfortunate that the majority of posters feel that they can abuse the rights of their customers in such a way just to make a few extra

Archived