Security Installer Community

Need a recomendation on new alarm

Guest Roy

Hi,

I've got a two bed bungalow and rather than settle for whatever the local installers want to install, i'd like advice on what system I should specify.

This is my spec

PIR in both beds, hall, kitchen & living room.

No animals.

I want battery backup, anti tamper, etc, with electronic hidden in loft, with just the keypad next to the front door.

I also want a phone dialler, so I know when it's gone off

I don't want a remote monitored system, as that's expensive.

I do want a good quality system that won't give me trouble.

My cousin, a qualified electrician who has fitted alarms in the past is happy to fit it for me.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks

Roy

My missing quote said something along the lines of: I don't think you should be specifying anything - I would speak to your local installers and get their recommendations, and if you were not happy with their recommendations following your discussion then come on here and ask for our opinions. There is a reason that professional alarm installers professionally install professional systems as their profession.

And did you mean that you want advice on the equipment or the design? Your design may be as good as it gets and perfectly adequate. Until you get a professional in you won't really know.

All alarms have tampers and battery back ups. Monitored alarms are not necessarily expensive - but yes, they are slightly more expensive than Bells Only.

If your cousin has fitted alarms then perhaps ask him what he has fitted, and to come and design the system for you.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

I would speak to your local installers and get their recommendations, and if you were not happy with their recommendations following your discussion then come on here and ask for our opinions. There is a reason that professional alarm installers professionally install professional systems as their profession.

QFA

And lets not forget the new EN standards and the words:

Risk assessment

post-1457-1131896963.gif

Just for Brain C :P

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

What qualifications do YOU have or experience in the specification and installation of intruder alarm systems?? Just got me as YOU seem to think you know better thatn a professional who has probabaly been doing it for a number of years! OBVIOUSLY if you know best then you design the system and get your cusion to install it and save us all some time instead of asking or meedy oaker opions, thanks!

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

• 3 months later...
My missing quote said something along the lines of: I don't think you should be specifying anything - I would speak to your local installers and get their recommendations, and if you were not happy with their recommendations following your discussion then come on here and ask for our opinions. There is a reason that professional alarm installers professionally install professional systems as their profession.

And did you mean that you want advice on the equipment or the design? Your design may be as good as it gets and perfectly adequate. Until you get a professional in you won't really know.

All alarms have tampers and battery back ups. Monitored alarms are not necessarily expensive - but yes, they are slightly more expensive than Bells Only.

If your cousin has fitted alarms then perhaps ask him what he has fitted, and to come and design the system for you.

use an electrician :no: i am suffering shudders :unsure: they never understand the difference between 'series' and 'parrellel wiring', hate our 'bits of cotton' and cant handle six colours at once!

you will have to set all the detectors off, open the front door and press the panic button all at the same time to get the bells to ring :rolleyes: so leave these instructions wrote on the external siren for the intruders to follow ;)

he may well get it installed and working - but will he be able or willing to fix it if it plays up? how soon will he respond to a problem?

i could spend an hour instructing you or your sparks how to connect two wires together, why we do it that way only and all the reasons for not doing it any other way. modern day alarm systems work on tiny currents and low voltages, so are highly suseptable to poor connection techniques, with the greatest respect not fully understood or appreciated by most sparks - and many alarm installetion engineers who have not worked on service and fault finding.

at least if you use a proffessional you should have a years warrenty period, check its for parts & labour and if in and out of office hours are covered.

get 2 or 3 quotes using people if possible recommended to you, perhaps ask the neighbours how they got on. do not be blinded or unduly in awe of affiliation badges on paperwork. a good sytem by a good installer will work trouble free for many years to come. devide cost of install x 10 years appx minimum life, it works out very cheap for piece of mind.

don't share the specifications of the earlier salesmen with the later ones, in fact act very enthusiastic to all of them. say to each they are the only ones in the running and you have asked them due to personal recommendations received. this will help expose the unscrupulouse over chargers, if they think they are home free with a sucker.

let them tell you what to do. pick the one who it seems best knows what he is talking about, then ask him about the good points suggested from the other installers then batter him on the price. its the best way to get the most balanced advice from several 'experts'.

not nice? may be, but remember they want that maintenance contract from you, i do the same with double glazing firms, kitchen fitters, car finance and so on - i saved

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

insist on having the engineer and master codes are given to you on hand over, you are not on 'Police Response' so do not need engineer resets (which requires engineers code).

You'd give out engineer codes on request as long as they are not on police response? I'd hate to be you when someone unprograms all their detectors and then blames you when they get cleaned out.

insist on having the engineer and master codes are given to you on hand over, you are not on 'Police Response' so do not need engineer resets (which requires engineers code).

Arfur brain cell?

did you get a workshop manual & factory tools when you splashed out on the wife car. :hmm:

Archived