Security Installer Community

Foreseeably -

MrHappy

9 hours ago, norman said:

I could count on one hand the people from my school who went onto uni but nowadays it's the norm so dilutes the talent pool imo. 

did more of your school pals end up in these "Red Brick institution" -

_124342244_5198919_c0ea1407_1024x1024.jpg.webp

than these -

Aston_Webb_Hall%2C_Birmingham_University.jpg

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

8 hours ago, james.wilson said:

Imo it's the cream that go to uni. If everyone goes it's just another a level. 

However I was intrigued on the t level. Didn't know if it and seems a good idea

I think it definitely used to be, but nowadays they are just businesses and the bar is pretty low, they do all sorts of meaningless courses (puppet design ffs) just to get the numbers (and cash) up. A massive percentage attend uni now compared to my era. 

As I say, when someone used to say they had a degree it was always kudos, now it's more 'meh' 

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

39 minutes ago, MrHappy said:

did more of your school pals end up in these "Red Brick institution" -

_124342244_5198919_c0ea1407_1024x1024.jpg.webp

than these -

Aston_Webb_Hall%2C_Birmingham_University.jpg

My school was rough as toast, we even made it into the local papers for it being shit and students smoking in class. Fantastic buildings, housed 1400 pupils and right in the middle of a large park but full of spastics. It was closed down and repurposed 2 years after I left. 

I'm sure a few ended up inside, one was a paedo but I didn't really stay in touch with more than 2-3 as I went to college instead of the dole or down t'pit. 

1 hour ago, norman said:

I think it definitely used to be, but nowadays they are just businesses and the bar is pretty low, they do all sorts of meaningless courses (puppet design ffs) just to get the numbers (and cash) up. A massive percentage attend uni now compared to my era. 

As I say, when someone used to say they had a degree it was always kudos, now it's more 'meh' 

And the classic is most classes either online or they watch recorded lessons or go once or twice a week , that way numbers and capacity is up , they make more money and dish out the degrees

Probably good what they done with the GCSE grading system , only pandemic had delayed it a little , atleast it will correct all these a stars that every student seems to get 

On 13/05/2023 at 09:25, norman said:

While I would generally agree with the business comments, it's important to note, like most things in life, there's a spectrum of bad to good.  While I'm less likely to be impressed with someone who has a degree in puppetry, I'm more likely to give greater academic respect to someone with a good engineering degree from a decent university.  I'm biased towards electronic engineering and computer science though...

I think I agree with above, it depends on the degree.

There are generic degrees for people that want to live the uni lifestyle, compared to ones that are required for a profession which hold much more value IMO.

On the education system in general they push pupils towards the most academic path at all options. I don't believe this is the right path for many people but it's all about the figures for the school not the pupils.

Every trade complains of a skill shortage but at the ideal time to take on apprentices, teachers are pointing them into further education with the promise of getting on the ladder higher, even if they have no plans or preference.

1 hour ago, GalaxyGuy said:

While I would generally agree with the business comments, it's important to note, like most things in life, there's a spectrum of bad to good.  While I'm less likely to be impressed with someone who has a degree in puppetry, I'm more likely to give greater academic respect to someone with a good engineering degree from a decent university.  I'm biased towards electronic engineering and computer science though...

Exceptions to the rule as always, and yes, core subjects apart.

I had a graduate who's degree was in automotive aerodynamics. He'd been privately educated (boarding school) all his life through the RAF and his level of basic English writing was shocking, he used to tell me to imagine what he'd be like had he not been in private education.

Lovely guy but he's left us now after 3 years to work as a planner for an electric charge point company. 

On 12/05/2023 at 21:35, sixwheeledbeast said:

I hear a lot of people say "student debt". The way they seem structured now it's more like a mortgage with a rate based from your income, I think it would more beneficial mentally to think of it that way than a "debt".

Yeah thats how the uni sells it as well. I do understand that the world doesnt owe anyone anything and if the government gives you something you should be looking to pay it back. Daves example is a good one though his school mate went to uni  and now he is a Doctor in Singapore so is he paying his back? Yep it is like a Mortgage or extra tax if you want to use moneysavingsexperts view. My view is if its money you owe someone its a debt, and all the while the £ is devaluing (as it does every year) it wont be long till those perceived as on low pay will be paying their debts back.

On 13/05/2023 at 09:28, norman said:

My school.....was closed down and repurposed 2 years after I left. 

Mine lhas long since been demolished... God knows where they are going to place the blue plaque ? 

Mr th2.jpg Veritas God

27 minutes ago, norman said:

Exceptions to the rule as always, and yes, core subjects apart.

I had a graduate who's degree was in automotive aerodynamics. He'd been privately educated (boarding school) all his life through the RAF and his level of basic English writing was shocking, he used to tell me to imagine what he'd be like had he not been in private education.

Lovely guy but he's left us now after 3 years to work as a planner for an electric charge point company. 

My headmaster told me I was only good for road sweeping or dustman (If he could see me now!)

I went to technical college, I wanted to do electronics but I didnt have the math so I did car mechanics and took the math as a secondary, passed and then moved from mechanics to electronics. I also went to night school (paid for by me) and I have always been able to do stuff because I have common sense which generally is not what they teach