Security Installer Community

Texecom veritas 8 battery query

hunter27

Hi, wonder if you could confirm my thoughts please. 

My daughter is abroad on holiday at the moment and I received a call from her saying her neighbour had just called to let her know that her alarm was going off, By the time I got to her house and the sounder had stopped but the strobe was still flashing outside.  I went in and entered the code, the keypad was showing tamper but no zones were lit, on further inspection the downstairs RCD had tripped and the green light on the control panel was flashing, so running just on the battery.  I turned on the RCD and cleared the tamper but left the alarm unset for the moment, not wanting to upset the neighbours again. 

The power could have been off for several days and I guess it's probably just the battery in the panel running down and needs replacing. 

Thanks, Pete 

Depending on if the system is regularly serviced, the battery should last around 12 hours without mains and should recharge within 24 hours. But my concern would not be the alarm, it would be the RCD tripping especially when no-one is home to switch stuff on and off, what else is on the circuit ? 

Did you have a look around the house for small fires?

8 hours ago, PeterJames said:

Depending on if the system is regularly serviced, the battery should last around 12 hours without mains and should recharge within 24 hours. But my concern would not be the alarm, it would be the RCD tripping especially when no-one is home to switch stuff on and off, what else is on the circuit ? 

Did you have a look around the house for small fires?

Thanks for your reply.

For a few days running, before the alarm went off we had been experiencing violent thunderstorms in the area, whether that can affect a RCD  I do not know.  She had an electrician in today to sign off the electrics in the house and he found no problems and gave her a certificate. We have fitted a new panel battery as well as we think the old battery was approximately 9 years old.

On 09/09/2022 at 21:11, hunter27 said:

Thanks for your reply.

For a few days running, before the alarm went off we had been experiencing violent thunderstorms in the area, whether that can affect a RCD  I do not know.  She had an electrician in today to sign off the electrics in the house and he found no problems and gave her a certificate. We have fitted a new panel battery as well as we think the old battery was approximately 9 years old.

The battery did well for 9 years, the life expectancy is 4 years, if the battery was defective it would damage the charging circuit, the only way you will find out if thats happened would be your next power cut.

I would be very surprised if a storm caused the RCD to trip RCD stands for residual current device and as the name suggest its monitoring the residual current on a circuit, even if the earth was locally hit by lighting its unlikely to change the residual current on just one circuit.