Security Installer Community

GSM Dialler at reasonable cost

Back on the Stable install, all up & working & the false triggers we were getting with the old alarm have no stopped, so it appears it may have been faulty or some of the wiring was, but not bad it lasted over 30 year, good Yorkshire's monies worth.

The new issue/problem/challenge is to get the panel to talk out to the world, there's no Landline available so it logically has to be GSM, seen a few cheap GSM Diallers but they only appear to support 2G which is redundant, does anyone know of a reasonably costed 4G unit, I know reasonably is a relative term & you professional installers can charge businesses £400 for one as it goes through the books, but this is coming out of my pocket.

Panel is a Texecom Premier 48, cica 2007

Thanks in advance

Alan..

Who says 2G is an issue? In the UK at least, we have another decade plus before they plan to kill it and reuse the spectrum. There are thousands of tiny 2G devices still out in rural settings that need to migrate to switch off will be slow.

By then I'd be expecting to update the system.

Really professional installers would be recommending a monitoring device to an ARC, that way if the GSM is jammed you have some guarantee of a message via polling, but this is the DIY section so...

Texecom have their own options for GSM but check compatibility with that EOL Premier first.

I'd probably consider some way of getting an internet connection at/to site and using IP if your concerned about 2G sunset and want more flexibility on kit.

Old Premier's have limited support for newer IP products so you may need third party equipment if your keeping the panel.

56 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Who says 2G is an issue?

I've already received a message from Vodafone to say they are withdrawing the 3G service in 2023, maybe I misunderstood, I figured if 3G was being withdrawn 2G would be before it?

56 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Really professional installers would be recommending a monitoring device to an ARC, that way if the GSM is jammed you have some guarantee of a message via polling, but this is the DIY section so...

Texecom have their own options for GSM but check compatibility with that EOL Premier first.

I'd probably consider some way of getting an internet connection at/to site and using IP if your concerned about 2G sunset and want more flexibility on kit.

Old Premier's have limited support for newer IP products so you may need third party equipment if your keeping the panel.

Yes I agree professional monitoring is the true answer, but it's not financially viable, in the 45 years we have had involvement at the site there has never been a serious attempt to gain entry, however it's more for reassurance, the lady who owns the place is getting older (85+), in the past had the alarm gone off she would have gone out & let rip with both barrels of the 12 bore, these days that would be frowned upon.

I know the Premier can't handle IP, but the GSM gateways I've seen are standalone & only need to be triggered to send out SMS/Calls, if it can't handle multiple calls, I can get around that in Asterisk.

2G is calls and texts, web browsing is pretty much unusable. 3G was the first step to internet browsing on mobile, it would be mostly unused for that today with modern mobiles and 4G/5G rollout.

Asterisk? So converting POTS to IP, why? As I say need to get internet to site and in that case use an IP product.

17 minutes ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Asterisk? So converting POTS to IP, why? As I say need to get internet to site and in that case use an IP product.

I thought the diallers would only be able to make 1 outbound simultaneous call, therefore the I was going to have it call the Asterisk box, then the Asterisk make the 3/4/5 outgoing calls, SMS is okay during the day but at night I want calls otherwise the SMS will just be slept through. But if 2G is going to continue for 10(ish) years then https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Tosuny-Security-Intelligent-Intruder-Wireless-default/dp/B07R5NQ8YW/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=seeEZ&pf_rd_p=22cf6018-5128-4375-b9f9-0e08d0597aef&pf_rd_r=A1CJ2TWA42J4VBFVGXDJ&pd_rd_r=5166f5c3-9b8d-4bf6-a8ce-e9fe6bfe3842&pd_rd_wg=9xkLN&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi looks a reasonable priced option.

5 hours ago, Stable_Boy said:

I know the Premier can't handle IP

your looking for wanky tat going cheap on ebay ?

a proper co could have connected it to a proper ARC via IP from at least 15 years ago ?

• Upvote 1

Mr? Veritas God

8 hours ago, Stable_Boy said:

Back on the Stable install, all up & working & the false triggers we were getting with the old alarm have no stopped, so it appears it may have been faulty or some of the wiring was, but not bad it lasted over 30 year, good Yorkshire's monies worth.

The new issue/problem/challenge is to get the panel to talk out to the world, there's no Landline available so it logically has to be GSM, seen a few cheap GSM Diallers but they only appear to support 2G which is redundant, does anyone know of a reasonably costed 4G unit, I know reasonably is a relative term & you professional installers can charge businesses £400 for one as it goes through the books, but this is coming out of my pocket.

Panel is a Texecom Premier 48, cica 2007

Thanks in advance

Alan..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GSM-Alarm-Auto-Dialler-UK-Made-Universal-Dialler-DVR-PIR-Remote-Alerts-4-INPUTS-/362602240582?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Something like this will do, don't be Muppet and use payg SIM , you need monthly 

However might cheaper on long run to have a gsm universal hkc module installed by a company , perhaps other manufacturers also do them , or as mrH said another communicator of sorts

1 hour ago, MrHappy said:

your looking for wanky tat going cheap on ebay ?

a proper co could have connected it to a proper ARC via IP from at least 15 years ago ?

I put your answer into Google Translate & that couldn't work it out either.

48 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Something like this will do, don't be Muppet and use payg SIM , you need monthly 

However might cheaper on long run to have a gsm universal hkc module installed by a company , perhaps other manufacturers also do them , or as mrH said another communicator of sorts

Yeah both the missus & I have £8pm Vodafone sims with unlimited SMS & Calls, I had been looking at those as well until I saw the Amazon one, without starting a race war, they are British built

13 hours ago, Stable_Boy said:

I put your answer into Google Translate & that couldn't work it out either.

Yeah both the missus & I have £8pm Vodafone sims with unlimited SMS & Calls, I had been looking at those as well until I saw the Amazon one, without starting a race war, they are British built

Not convinced... 

https://m.made-in-china.com/product/GSM-Alarm-Box-SMS-Alert-Wireless-Alarm-Ga09-Home-and-Industrial-Security-Alarm-820917665.html

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.