Security Installer Community

Texecom Alarm Status LED

saguy

Thank you in advance for the great assistance always given on this forum.

On my Texecom Elite 168 I have a blue status LED outside my house that indicates that my alarm is armed, or flashes if it was put into an alarm state.

I asked my local installer to fit another LED inside my house to prevent false alarms by someone opening the door while the alarm is armed.

The LED I bought was a red 12V DC LED (The red is easier on the eye at night)

The local installed arrived, pulled the wire and then told me that it can't be done with my LED, you can't have a red and blue LED at the same time and they left.

I don't know how to wire the LED, so I thought I'd take a look.

When I look on the keypad I can see that DigiCom 6 output is set for Armed/Alarm. Looking at the alarm panel they connected the +'ve wire for the new LED to digicom 6 and -'ve to the battery.

I tested the voltage when armed and saw that the new wire outputs 5v when armed.

Not wanting to mess up my existing LED I set Digicom 7 to Armed/Alarm as well so I could play around there.

I saw with my multimeter that if I connect -'ve to Digicom 7 and +'ve to "Aux 12V +" then when the alarm is armed my LED is on, and when alarm isn't armed my LED is off. I've attached a picture of the relevant section of my panel.

image.thumb.png.bdee4ab6a6ffd57015852a553e87a15a.png

While my setup works, is what I've done completely wrong? I don't quite understand how the digicom outputs work or how they switch, but what I've done works and the alarm seems to be functioning normally.

In the UK we would not allow showing the system status from outside the property, or even within the property without user access. It gives too much information to a potential burglar.

Most standard LED's are 5v forward voltage, are you certain this is a 12v LED? They are available but worth double checking.

External auxiliary kit really be using the Panel Outputs (OP1/2/3/4) on the opposite side of the board to drive this stuff, the digi outputs are lower current mainly for triggering 3rd party coms, they are generally unfused.

Why it's connected to the battery terminals who knows...

1 minute ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

In the UK we would not allow showing the system status from outside the property, or even within the property without user access. It gives too much information to a potential burglar.

Most standard LED's are 5v forward voltage, are you certain this is a 12v LED? They are available but worth double checking.

External auxiliary kit really be using the Panel Outputs (OP1/2/3/4) on the opposite side of the board to drive this stuff, the digi outputs are lower current mainly for triggering 3rd party coms, they are generally unfused.

Why it's connected to the battery terminals who knows...

Thank you, and you raise good points.

I'm not in the UK, I'm from South Africa. This is by far the best alarm forum I've found so hopefully I can stick around.

I double checked, my LED is definitely 12V.

I'll have a look at how to program the Panel Outputs for this LED.

3 hours ago, saguy said:

Thank you, and you raise good points.

I'm not in the UK, I'm from South Africa. This is by far the best alarm forum I've found so hopefully I can stick around.

I double checked, my LED is definitely 12V.

I'll have a look at how to program the Panel Outputs for this LED.

Or use a relay 5v to switch the led on 12v

Looking at the other side of the board I have the following panel outputs:

image.png.4362b1237e3c84731fa8d5ea27266d43.png

The manual says:

12: Panel Outputs
Outputs 1 & 2 are 500mA ‘-ve’ applied, outputs 3 & 4 are 500mA
‘+ve’ applied and output 5 is a clean contact relay (see page 35 for
wiring details). These outputs are all fully programmable (see page
83 for details).

image.thumb.png.d5608a9cf46684a2e0b2b7dec33ac0cb.png

And this is my LED:

image.png.89d2258685196f02a8e9ac7ab7ef1084.png

Am I to understand then that the correct way to wire this would be?

LED +'ve to 1k0 resistor to 12V+ from panel
LED -'ve to OP1-