Jump to content
Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9930 PIR tamper


Recommended Posts

I had an issue today with the alarm sounding when not set. The panel said tamper and a zone number. This relates to the pir on the stairs. I entered the user code which cleared it but then when motion was detected the tamper alarm sounded again. It has now settled but I am worried this could trigger again. Does this sound like a faulty pir? Or should I check anything else first. I have asked a few local companies for prices but thought I would check if this was a common fault.
 

The pir is labelled Saturn

 

also any recommendations for a replacement sensor if this is required.

 

Thanks

 

Mark

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for the replies. This has been fine since June and then suddenly started happening again last night.

How would I go about checking the wiring? Or would you replace the pir first? The sensor looks ok and the tamper switch seems fine...

 

Any particular sensors that work ok with the scantronic 9930?

Link to post
Share on other sites

9930 is a keypad,

 

the controls will either be DP or FSL

 

any DP sensor can have resistors fitted,

 

The tamper will be the controls, cable or the device

 

low Ω's on a multi meter for the cable ect.. 

Mr😀 Veritas God

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gadget34 said:

Yea I have a multimeter and can probably figure out which resistance setting etc to put it on. Although the more basic the instructions the better 😀

Are there resistors in the PIR? Or wires just striaght into the tamper and alarm terminals?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Disconnect the circuit at the panel and meter the tamper pair on the sensor. The tamper switch is the red dot. 

Then short the cables at the pir and measure the resistance at the panel

securitywarehouse https://store.securitywarehouse.co.uk

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this a resistance measurement at the sensor and the same at the panel using a multimeter? 


When you say tamper pair there is only two wires apart from power. Do you mean these?
 

And by short I assume you mean connecting the blue and yellow wire together at the sensor?

 

Is there any expected readings or should I compare to a sensor that doesn’t cause tamper alarms?

 

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

So the first test

 

1) Disconnect the circuit at the panel and meter the tamper pair on the sensor.

I don’t fully understand what to disconnect and which wires to test for this one?


2) Then short the cables at the pir and measure the resistance at the panel. 

So connect the yellow and blue together at the pir and monitor the blue and yellow at the panel whilst disconnected on the meter to check the cable is ok?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1) Tamper terminals on PIR will be marked meter them and simulate closing the lid.

 

2) yep.

 

All values should be monitored for a little while and be steady, although no guarantees on finding a very intermittent cable fault, chances point more towards the PIR but need to test these things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok I have done a couple of tests.

 

1) I put the meter across the bottom two pins in the sensor which I believe are the tamper ones. With the lid off I didn’t get a reading (no circuit) once I pushed the button it read 0 on the resistance 200k setting.

 

2) I shorted the cable at the pir and tested this at the control box and got a resistance reading of 0. When disconnected I didn’t get a circuit.

 

3) I took a reading of the cable disconnected at the panel with the pir sensor fully connected. This was 02.2 on the meter. With the lid off the sensor I didn’t get a reading.

 

I assume this means it could be the pir? Unless it is one of the resisters within the pir?

 

The PIR model is intellisense IS-215T. Is there a recommended replacement to work with the current wiring (4 wires with the resistor) which I believe is called EOL?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gadget34 said:

Ok I have done a couple of tests.

 

1) I put the meter across the bottom two pins in the sensor which I believe are the tamper ones. With the lid off I didn’t get a reading (no circuit) once I pushed the button it read 0 on the resistance 200k setting.

 

2) I shorted the cable at the pir and tested this at the control box and got a resistance reading of 0. When disconnected I didn’t get a circuit.

 

3) I took a reading of the cable disconnected at the panel with the pir sensor fully connected. This was 02.2 on the meter. With the lid off the sensor I didn’t get a reading.

 

I assume this means it could be the pir? Unless it is one of the resisters within the pir?

 

The PIR model is intellisense IS-215T. Is there a recommended replacement to work with the current wiring (4 wires with the resistor) which I believe is called EOL?

 

 

2.2 what? Did you change the range when you read that or left it on the 200ohm range 

 

If you get good reading on the cable , and not correct reading from panel and fault is intermittent?

 

Maybe you didn't put cables back properly , I doubt the resistors can go faulty 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All tests were done on 200k. I can’t see the cable being at fault though as I could see the resistance change depending on the state of the pir. Lid off there wasn’t a circuit and then lid on it read 02.2. I believe the resistance would then increase further if someone activated the pir motion.  
i read this elsewhere which I believe is what I am seeing as I also measured the resistance and the pir alarm wires and these are 0.46 ish which fits with the below?

 

As an example if a 4.7k resistor is used for the alarm contact and a 2.2k resistor is used for the tamper/EOL,

In the 'active' condition the panel would see 4.7 plus 2.2 equals roughly 7k ohms.

In the 'settled' condition the panel would just see the 2.2 or EOL.

In the 'tamper' condition the panel would see zilch IE cut cable-open circuit or direct short tamper as well.

 

What I don’t know is what reading would be at the panel when the pir is in the fault state I.e causing a tamper alarm on motion with the alarm unset.

 

any recommendations for a compatible pir?

Link to post
Share on other sites

agreed but 2000 ohms is a lot. I would expect it to be the pir but if you test the tamper switch at 200 ohms this will confirm, testing set on 200k wont show a high reading. It should be very close to 0.3 ohms (not 0.3 K Ohms) plus whatever size the built in series resistor ir (not the ones in the terminals) you could try adding something to the red dot to adjust the close point if the case is slightly twisted

securitywarehouse https://store.securitywarehouse.co.uk

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gadget34 said:

All tests were done on 200k. I can’t see the cable being at fault though as I could see the resistance change depending on the state of the pir. Lid off there wasn’t a circuit and then lid on it read 02.2. I believe the resistance would then increase further if someone activated the pir motion.  
i read this elsewhere which I believe is what I am seeing as I also measured the resistance and the pir alarm wires and these are 0.46 ish which fits with the below?

 

As an example if a 4.7k resistor is used for the alarm contact and a 2.2k resistor is used for the tamper/EOL,

In the 'active' condition the panel would see 4.7 plus 2.2 equals roughly 7k ohms.

In the 'settled' condition the panel would just see the 2.2 or EOL.

In the 'tamper' condition the panel would see zilch IE cut cable-open circuit or direct short tamper as well.

 

What I don’t know is what reading would be at the panel when the pir is in the fault state I.e causing a tamper alarm on motion with the alarm unset.

 

any recommendations for a compatible pir?

So your saying the fault now is permanent? If you put it back altogether alarm won't set ? Due to permanent fault on that circuit ?

 

Or you tested incorrectly?

 

Not that our can't be at fault , I would have just swapped the boards over with another circuit by now , or compared it to another circuit the same way depending on lengths

Link to post
Share on other sites

The alarm is currently working as normal.

 

James can you confirm where I test the tamper again? Is this at the pir end or the control box end?

 

it will likely work for another 6 months ok now... just annoying when it does eventually cause the false tamper.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Gadget34 said:

 

 

it will likely work for another 6 months ok now... just annoying when it does eventually cause the false tamper.

 

 

So swap the board with another PIR dude , fault should follow if it's the put, meaning from another room 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gadget34 said:

I don’t mind buying a new one for £20/£30. Do you know what model what be compatible? 

Lol , any but if you going to spend £20/30 on a new PIR then forget these ones 

Is312 is a replacement for what you have 

But for your budget a quad PIR texecom or optex are better 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.