Security Installer Community

CCTV Audio

fattony

Hi

Ive been working with some Dauha IP cameras and realised quite last minute that they are recording audio as well as video.

The building is a multi tenanted building with the cameras in landlord areas, the client requested the audio was recorded as it may be handy at some point.

Im not sure what the legal aspect is for this, should I advise they need to update their signage or is this 100% illegal and should be disabled, if so I’m surprised that it comes enabled by default 

thanks

2 minutes ago, fattony said:

if so I’m surprised that it comes enabled by default 

Sorry tony but no pro installer goes with defaults, the defaults are there to reduce phone calls to the supplier, however Audio is difficult rule wise im assuming you have been caught recording audio and now its an issue?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

The ICO doesnt like audio recording, you also have privacy issues recording audio, plus it would probably render the CCTV evidence as not admissible in court due to the signage not providing the correct warnings

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fattony said:

Hi

Ive been working with some Dauha IP cameras and realised quite last minute that they are recording audio as well as video.

The building is a multi tenanted building with the cameras in landlord areas, the client requested the audio was recorded as it may be handy at some point.

Im not sure what the legal aspect is for this, should I advise they need to update their signage or is this 100% illegal and should be disabled, if so I’m surprised that it comes enabled by default 

thanks

In the end install disable it or enable , it all falls on the owner of the equipment / user , just put it in your documents what you hand over , you can big fat microphone and still down to the owner user , nothing comes back to you, just let them know they have to register with ico as you don't have to even do that either still in the owner 

There's a courier building which records audio in its reception and it's all display with signage and who it's operated by ,  before you walk in you see it and in the collection area clear to see audio recording 

5 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

The ICO doesnt like audio recording, you also have privacy issues recording audio, plus it would probably render the CCTV evidence as not admissible in court due to the signage not providing the correct warnings

Nah man be serious

I haven’t been caught recording audio, I wanted to ask the legal status of this.

Read my posts, I’m by no means a pro, not claiming to be just want to advise the client the right thing so no one is surprised when they view playback

thanks

17 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

1 minute ago, fattony said:

I haven’t been caught recording audio, I wanted to ask the legal status of this.

Read my posts, I’m by no means a pro, not claiming to be just want to advise the client the right thing so no one is surprised when they view playback

thanks

6 minutes ago, james.wilson said:

so no reason for the op to be concerned about any of it then?

Only that he needs to inform and know what he's installing , but doesn't stop someone changing the settings of course