Security Installer Community

'Single Tap' phone line causing issues

Hi, I'm not an expert (so keep any responses simple please !) but need some advice...

We have an alarm issue at one of our sites, the alarm (a national name) company has investigated and has said that the line is the issue, more accurately they have said that the line is a 'single tap' line which is preventing a reset. 

It's not a term I am familiar with, our phone supplier is equally baffled... any ideas as to what this means and what steps are required to rectify it ? I'm trying to get an explanation from the alarm company but they are being very slow in responding.

Thanks in anricipation.

All that aside if they aren't responing to your questions promptly or assisting you adequately in resolving your issue why are they still your alarm company? Nationals are no guarentee of quality or service, believe me when a national taken over the branch i worked at the effect was similar to the big C.

10 minutes ago, petrolhead said:

All that aside if they aren't responing to your questions promptly or assisting you adequately in resolving your issue why are they still your alarm company? Nationals are no guarentee of quality or service, believe me when a national taken over the branch i worked at the effect was similar to the big C.

Have you been sniffing petrol?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

1 hour ago, james.wilson said:

also when you say 'preventing a reset' what needs resetting is what is displayed etc 

There's a clue , as above what's being displayed , sounds as though your having a line fault , and that the panel is unable me to reset due to this , and they have concluded the line fault is because of the type of line you have 

Possibly 

And he meant big B = bashing ? 

2 minutes ago, goncall said:

Presuming a line fault that won't reset he might of meant only a single wire coming in on line either a leg or b leg dis 

B leg dis for earth line fault or earth calling , they still have this stuff?

Hi Everybody,

Many thanks for all your replies...

As ever nothing is straight forward... it turns out that although we have taken over the running of most of this site (including phone lines) the Alarm contract is still with the local Council...which is why they have been slow in responding to me. The Council are going to supply me with the correct details so that I can talk with the Alarm company and get to the bottom of the issue.

I'll come back after I have done this and let you know the result...

Many thanks for all your help so far.