Security Installer Community

Increase In Wireless Issues

GalaxyGuy

Has anyone else seen an increase in alarm system wireless issues this year ?   I'm not sure if it's based on the wireless systems uptake, but I have accounts where there has been no issues for many months suddenly start getting random jam alerts at no particular set time points.  I'm very suspicious that this is something to do with the increase in mobile 4G.  Perhaps I am just being paranoid...

Edited by GalaxyGuy

I'm not sure what's going on at the moment, but certainly seeing Honeywell systems with some issues.  Perhaps the Honeywell has tighter parameters for RF noise triggering a Jam.  I believe it's a 3 minute period of signal jam that constitutes a jam tamper.  I am not sure what the protocol does underneath that as far as signal levels Etc, but there's no real way of preventing the tamper at the panel side when the RF portal is fitted.

If this does have something to do with mobile comm's (speculation at the moment), then it could mean trouble ahead...    I really hope not.

I'm only using panel diagnostics at the moment.  I have some measurement equipment ordered for further investigation.

I'm also awaiting further direction from Honeywell, as there are three different C079 portal variants all with different firmwares (and recent changes) and information on the changes hasn't been available.

I also have conflicting installer reports of one portal variant fixing the problem at customer sites, but the trouble with this is that only time will tell if this is actually the case - the installer seemed convinced though...  This particular installer is in the Netherlands, so whatever seems to be happening, it's doesn't seem limited to the UK.

Yes id expect issues ahead. From discussions (that I understand as some are really technical)868MHz is a sideband of 900MHz. But it was believed the transmitted ie phone etc had to be fairly close to the transceiver etc

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

If there is a cause like 4G then it could get very serious for a lot of wireless systems out there.

It could be the increase of wireless coms on 868, cheap rubbish appears to be on the increase whilst I am out and about.

Question is how do you protect your customer and your business?

Lets face it you install something and if its your fault then that's one thing, but if its something outside of your control what can you do, if your customer ends up with a wireless system that wont work due to 4G or other interference that wasn't present at the time of design or install.