Security Installer Community

How To Loop Out A Pir In A System

sean5302

I'm not convinced.

There are 6 wires in the cable going to the PIR.

At least 4 of them are working fine.

My next job today will be to solder the ends of the 2 wires for common and NC, at each end. These are very low voltage feeds, therefore resistance will play a big part. If it works, great. If it doesn't, I now have a 5-zone alarm rather than a 6-zone one.

Cutting holes in the floor of a newish house isn't an option. There are no "boards", it's floored with chipboard so exposing small sections of cable isn't going to tell me anything.

Thanks for your help, guys.

I'm not convinced.

What do you think it might be? You have proven it isn't the panel. I assume the PIR is providing a low resistance when operating?

Bearing in mind it will likely still be as high as 30-300 ohms in an older PIR.

My next job today will be to solder the ends of the 2 wires for common and NC, at each end. These are very low voltage feeds, therefore resistance will play a big part.

Again, it won't be that. Even touching the wires, certainly twisting them, should be enough. Many older PIRs have reed type relays that present a relatively high resistance when closed.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

It just seems odd that a cable containing 6 separate wires can suddenly lose continuity in 1 or 2 of them, but that is what has happened.

I'd have thought a mouse or rat would chew the whole cable but, despite ensuring that the connections are sound at the control box and at the PIR, that's what's happened.

It doesn't seem worth trying to replace that zone wiring. A neighbour says the wiring is inside the cavity walls and it's beam and block flooring at ground level, so everything's buried really.