Security Installer Community

Engineers Codes

should be careful giving them out as when employed by a company you sign a contract that would include some form of non disclosure. However any company that no longer maintains a system should be forced to default the engineers code or supply it to the new maintainer in my opinion.

interesting, I had a new customer a few weeks back that wanted a few things putting right on his Elite 24 after the installer didn't complete some of the programing.

That customer got the engineers code off the installer (electrician) who initially refused, so he started going through the process of legal action, the engineer then gave him the engineers code.

I explained that the engineers code we have for that system would not be given out but would be defaulted by us remotely upon request for free but we would not be responsible for the system at that point, we will not give the end user the engineers code to maintain the integrity of the system.

He then asked if we were no longer trading what would the position be, advised any engineer that knows that system could default the codes if required. Obviously if our code for that system has been removed that system we are no longer responsible.

Have to say about 5-10% of the systems I come across tend to be locked.

should be careful giving them out as when employed by a company you sign a contract that would include some form of non disclosure. However any company that no longer maintains a system should be forced to default the engineers code or supply it to the new maintainer in my opinion.

Problem with that is that there is not traceability or accountability on a 4 digit code.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

"...However any company that no longer maintains a system should be forced to default the engineers code or supply it to the new maintainer in my opinion.."

Default it yes, but not supply your own code to the new maintenance company.