Security Installer Community

Alarm With App Which Can Disarm/arm Alarm (Replace Adt?)

I think as a simple app the selfmon "virtual keypad" is allot better than the Honeywell version because it simply mimics the keypad on your phone , network card is cheaper to compared to the Honeywell version

Hi,

So it sounds like two best options are with questions:

1. Upgrade to Honeywell Flex

- Will I need to replace the keypads or just the control panel do you think

- Is this something i could do myself? My only worry is the ADT alarm seems to be very sensitive to tampering and if the power the alarm goes off etc...I just will need to know exactly what i need to do before i start. 

- could i still use the selfmon app with this if i wanted to?

- how does the app with honeywell connect to the control panel. Assuming via external IP address of my internet connection but is it secure? Do i need to setup VPN to make sure it is secure?

2. Use Selfmon app

- The network card, is this just connected to the existing control panel and could i do this myself

- how does the app connect to the control panel. Assuming via external IP address of my internet connection but is it secure? Do i need to setup VPN to make sure it is secure?

cheers,

Edited by leo01

Set an ip address for the network card, enter that into the app and your done

Obviously you need to resolve the external ip problem if you don't have a fixed one

I don't have any electrician knowledge - though a bit of techy from a computer side.

Will I just need to plug in the network card into the existing panel? The IP address would be assigned by my router. I can then connect to the panel via the app is that correct? Or is it more complicated than that?