Security Installer Community

Alarm With App Which Can Disarm/arm Alarm (Replace Adt?)

Hi,

So I have an ADT alarm which was installed about 7 years ago.  I no longer have a contract directly with them and have fitted a dialler.

Spec is below 

- It has two wireless panic alarms. One fixed

- Two Wireless sensors, 4 fixed sensors

- Two keypads, using key fobs

- Usual ADT spec - backup battery, able to distinguish between one sensor trigger vs two triggered

- Smoke alarm

- Dialler fitted - independently 

I would like to be able to disarm and arm this alarm remotely. Problem is if the alarm goes off the dialler calls out and then someone needs to attend the property - my family had to come at 1am one time! Probably just a spider.

I would like to keep my current setup and just add something which will allow the alarm to be disarmed/armed remotely via an app for example. I plan to install IP cameras around the house (will only have them active when I leave the house) then i or someone in the family can just see if the property is ok. If it is OK the alarm can be disarmed and then armed again. 

I have spoken to a local security company and they said they could just replace they key pads/control panel. £350. It would be Risco parts. 

Anyone have any other ideas to resolve the problems above? Risco any good? heard they are ex-Guardtec? Or, is what i am planning to do a bad idea - i had spent a bit of cash to install the ADT alarm so fell bit hesitant in doing this but the sensors arent replaced and neither is wiring i guess.

cheers

cheers

Edited by leo01

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you investigate why the alarm went off at 1am? Apart from spiders there would have been an event or something in the log to tell you what activated it

Would help you perhaps decide what to do

Hi james, I didnt really mean is it free. Rather is an independnt guy who has done it, which sounds like it is? Or is it an app by Galaxy themselves. Just concerned about security if it is an indepenent app. 

In any case i guess i would need to somehow connect it to my alarm system.

honeywell do an app but not for ur panel. your panel is pre app as it were so you need an upgrade. Im guessing your phone is less than 2 years old but the main bit of kit protecting your home is older and not worth an upgrade?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi James -  I am looking to do an upgrade to be honest but working out the best way to do it without losing too much on the initial investment on the burglar alarm.  If possible. But I do want to go for range which is popular and the app is user friendly/updated if needed - so a well known company. Reliable and very good product. Oh and obviosuly as connecting remotely needs to be secure, so using secure communication to the alarm. I also want to get to a stage where i can test the alarm myself etc - so i dont have a maintenace contract. Only have to call someone out if i find a problem. 

I am looking install IP cameras separately myself - probably be cheaper and less hassle than having them integrated in the alarm because if there is a problem i might have to call someone out

A local company said they could install Risco but would need to replace the panel and the key pads. 

If I went for honeywell would i need to change the keypads? In turn though I would have to find a installer who would do it.  

cheers

Edited by leo01

Would it make sense to just stick with Honeywell then? How come you would avoid Risco - out of interest as thats why my local company use? 

Just to clairfy - Siemens integrate with the Galaxy ok, so no keypad change or will there be?

I think as a simple app the selfmon "virtual keypad" is allot better than the Honeywell version because it simply mimics the keypad on your phone , network card is cheaper to compared to the Honeywell version

Hi,

So it sounds like two best options are with questions:

1. Upgrade to Honeywell Flex

- Will I need to replace the keypads or just the control panel do you think

- Is this something i could do myself? My only worry is the ADT alarm seems to be very sensitive to tampering and if the power the alarm goes off etc...I just will need to know exactly what i need to do before i start. 

- could i still use the selfmon app with this if i wanted to?

- how does the app with honeywell connect to the control panel. Assuming via external IP address of my internet connection but is it secure? Do i need to setup VPN to make sure it is secure?

2. Use Selfmon app

- The network card, is this just connected to the existing control panel and could i do this myself

- how does the app connect to the control panel. Assuming via external IP address of my internet connection but is it secure? Do i need to setup VPN to make sure it is secure?

cheers,

Edited by leo01

Set an ip address for the network card, enter that into the app and your done

Obviously you need to resolve the external ip problem if you don't have a fixed one