Security Installer Community

Da Systems Abacus 8 Alarm

Stevew30

Hi All.

I have a DA Systems Abacus 8 alarm that was already installed when I bought the house.  I am guessing it is about 15yrs old, and I want to add an additional keypad to the bedroom so that I can set / unset the alarm without having to go downstairs (I know it is lazy).

I've spoken to a few local companies, but they tell me the system is obsolete and I need to purchase a brand new alarm from them instead.  I fully accept that this is probably true, but I want to see if there are any compatible keypads that will work with this system before I shell out for a new alarm.

Does anyone know if I can use another type of keypad with this alarm ?

Details are:

DA Systems

Abacus 8R MR Version 2122

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm afraid the panel is obsolete, a 2nd hand keypad may work (never seen more than 1 on a abacus system so I couldn't gateuntee it would work, others on here might know)

Upgrading the panel is an option, cables and detection equipment can usually be reused.

Where abouts are you based?

There is 1 on eBay if as Mr happy says your into DIY.

But new controls would be a better idea, you could almost garuntee after you've fitted the new keypad there will be a fault with the panel and it would need changing anyway.

We cover Manchester if you would like a quote let me know.

Plus the fact that I look after a couple of these and the PSUs are looking decidedly 'hot'.

They won't last much longer, owners have been warned last 2 years running.

I can just imagine a 2nd keypad pushing it over the edge...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ABACUS-ALARM-KEYPAD-/251954629461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa9aa8b55

Abacus were really good panels in their day, beware they get a bit forgetful as they get older though, they have a habit of forgetting user codes normally when theyre armed.