Security Installer Community

Van Racking / Storage Shelving

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if you could help settle a debate we are having about racking within the vans.

The racking to be used for storage of parts / general spares e.g. buttons, locks etc

The vans currently seem so disorganised with bits and bobs in boxes.

Fair to say that we don't have standard parts like BT would but still it seems to be highly inefficient to be searching through various cardboard boxes for the odd bit.

Of course the downside is that they take up space so you may not be able to maximises the space.

How do you stay organised and what works for you?

Any suggestions welcome.

No I havnt

There is a thread on the last one I did somewhere

I read that, but you crashed after you plyeda! Maybe don't risk it anymore, although I saw a nice Nissan other day looked like dispatch size

I read that, but you crashed after you plyeda! Maybe don't risk it anymore, although I saw a nice Nissan other day looked like dispatch size

NV200?

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a van that had a raised floor just over height of cable drum. Steps slotted under aswell was a great layout I thought. Steps and cable out of the way instead of kicking around the back getting in the way when all i needed was some basic tools. 

I used to have a van that had a raised floor just over height of cable drum. Steps slotted under aswell was a great layout I thought. Steps and cable out of the way instead of kicking around the back getting in the way when all i needed was some basic tools.

that reminds me,

Jef build a step ladder box for the back of his new vans,

Jef did you every do a piccy of the completed project

Mr? Veritas God

Looking ahead to my next van, is there anything lighter than mdf but almost as strong and easy to work with?

I'm thinking some sort of plastic / composite board, for fitting out and making shelves etc...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

We've used heavy duty plastic/polyprop sheet 10mm for mounting cameras before, it would probably do what you want and can be got by the sheet, but it gets expensive quickly IIRC.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Hmm, OK thanks for the tip. I suppose I could keep weight down this time by building 'frames' that the cases etc sit in rather than on top of, using ally angle rather than fixed shelves which just add to weight / bulk...

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Yeah not so much for the sides as the shelving / racking bit. As I say I think plastic cases that stack by sitting on aluminium rails is the way forward.

Screwfix plus others do stackable plastic boxes, Euro boxes i think they call them, got a few in the garage.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Gaz I agree except with a full steel bulkhead factory fitted it's less of an issue. Plus I have never found what I wanted from the racking co's without spending more than the van is worth and some more.

Gaz I agree except with a full steel bulkhead factory fitted it's less of an issue. Plus I have never found what I wanted from the racking co's without spending more than the van is worth and some more.

steel bulkhead should be the starting point i agree,but people see all this bespoke racking from the big players and want it but it costs a fortune mine is bog standard type racking and its great i dont need a special slot for this or that just work around what it is and make things fit

I don't want anything too wacky, just a frame or two which holds toolboxes or assorter type boxes of parts. And the thing with the commercial stuff it actually seems to waste a lot of space sometimes.

Plus I've spent quite a bit on Racco boxes etc... already and want to keep them.