Security Installer Community

Wireless Low Battery Warning And Removing Pir To Decorate

Juiceloose

Good afternoon,

The wireless alarm system in the house I bought has worked fine up until about five weeks ago, It consists of the control box, a front door sensor, 6 PIR detectors and a wireless bell box. I am now receiving a warning stating 'low wireless battery' on the display panel.

Having walked round the house, all of the PIR detectors light up when I walk in front of them so I'm guessing it might be the battery in the bell box.

Can I just put a ladder up there and take the cover off and put a replacement battery in or will it sense a tamper and set off the internal alarm? What size battery will I need ? Would it also be advisable to replace all of the batteries in the wireless PIR detectors at the same time? if so, what type of battery is required?

Finally, I wish to decorate a couple of the rooms in which the PIR detectors are located which means painting behind them. Can I just disconnect the front cover and unscrew them off the wall then put them back in place when I've finished or will they detect a tamper and set the alarm off.

Apologies if these are basic and stupid questions but all I've ever done with the alarm so far is set it then unset it.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Hello.

Firstly, you didn't say which model and manufacturer.

Some more points:-

*I would expect if you interrogate the panel it will tell you which battery.

*Just because the PIR's are lighting up, that doesn't mean you have diagnosed where the low battery is.

*It should trigger a tamper on removing any lid, if you get an alarm sounding will depend on the controls.

*Batteries are all different, but probably a special Lithium one, not your standard Alkaline type.

*Yes you should replace all the batteries at the same time, again these are different depending on panel.

*In theory yes the PIR's can be removed and refitted, again alarm will depend on controls.

I think your best option is to have the alarm system serviced properly by a local approved company, if you have the details of the installer try them first.

This way you can make sure everything is working correctly and they will have all the batteries available to do the job in an hour or so.

They can also give you some advise on your PIR's and the decorating.

The batteries will need replacing on a regular basis so find out about service intervals and maybe a service contract.

Thank you for your replies.

I don't know the name of the manufacturer or model as there is nothing stamped on it. Similarly there is nothing in the user instruction manual to indicate the model or manufacturer.

Having done quick a Google search it looks identical in appearance to the Pyronix Enforcer 32 model apart from mine has a drop down panel to cover the buttons and no Pyronix label on it.

I don't have the installer details but having looked at the bell box outside it would appear to be a local firm that has disappeared off Google so am assuming they have closed down or gone bust.

I'll take your advice and get someone out to service it all. Do you happen to know anybody in the Leicestershire area or am I as well just picking someone out of the yellow pages.?

I have just found the manufacturer and model of the PIR sensors on a website and it is a Pyronix Enforcer KX12DQ-WE Digital Quad Wireless PIR.

The keyfob to remotely arm and disarm the alarm is also Pyronix and is the KF4-WE two way key fob.

Still can't find the control panel but guessing it must be a Pyronix and probably a predecessor to the Enforcer 32 model.

• 2 weeks later...