Security Installer Community

Another 'which' Alarm System Topic

livetofly

Ok depending on how it's setup it's quite expensive via the tap service, granted its only per call or sms which I think via open tap is 50p per sms

If they using older o2 or vodaphone centre numbers they are not always reliable

I would have thought in that price there was at least a dialler of sorts or and stand alone gsm unit

Is that the full detailed quote as it doesn't mention monitoring, I missed it speed reading maybe

I don't know if that's the right information (http://www.open-telecom.co.uk/cms/products-services/opentap-tap-to-sms-email-gateway-service-provider/), but it seems that calls are 50p and texts are free?

OpenTAP is a completely FREE OF CHARGE service provided by Open Telecom, as we believe in keeping things simple and easy to use!

• Setup Fee – Free
  • Line Rental – Free
  • Call Usage – Free
  • Free Time – Not applicable as call usage is free
  • Cost to Dial – 50p/50p/50p/min. Day/Night/Weekend incl. VAT)
  • Call Forwarding – Not applicable
  • Cost Per Text or Email Message – Free
  • Billing – Not applicable

'Free' should be taken with a pinch of salt. Its de-facto 50p per text under normal usage. The reason it is not very good is that if someone were to cut the phone line, or breeze into the house and rip everything off the wall during the 'entry time', you would never know, because the integrity of the connection itself is not remotely monitored.

Did the installer not discuss 'proper' monitoring at any time?

Edited by datadiffusion

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I haven't met with the installer myself... we probably said that we didn't want to spend so much and have annual fees? The phone line is actually quite difficult to cut because it's underground and even the electrician wasn't able to find the location of the master socket... we had to wait for the BT engineer to find it out!