Security Installer Community

Eng Code Dispute

HeatherShep

The answer will always be....

We have a client who has moved to an engineer who has recently left us - under a cloud - so standard procedure, we changed all out engineering codes on the next service visit (which was booked a for a few days after ex employee left).  The client is now shouting from the roof tops at how unethical we are as  a company because we wont give her our new code ready - for ex employee to take over the system (and any others he can get his grubby hands on no doubt) - I've tried explaining why the codes where changed and the security risks involved etc  but to no avail.  Is there any legislation I can quote to stop the rants?  Any help gratefully received.

No legislation it all depends on your companies T&C's that the customer is signed up to.

I would agree that best to give them the options of charge to factory default the system for the outgoing or they can send you the panel.

Also some companies contract of employment are worded so you cannot poach existing customers, maybe worth looking into that.

Why is it unethical to protect your customers? If you have lost the customer to the ex engineer why are you even worrying about it? The customer obviously wasn't worth having to begin with if they are prepared to jump ship to save a tenner. I would tell them the charge for defaulting the system and let them make their minds up. There is nothing they can sue you for, the judge would see it that you have protected the customer from potential sabotage, as their service provider you are obliged to ensure that there is no weak areas. The system can be easily defaulted and reprogrammed by any reputable company if the customer wanted to change service providers

If you have lost the customer to the ex engineer why are you even worrying about it? The customer obviously wasn't worth having to begin with if they are prepared to jump ship to save a tenner. 

My thoughts exactly

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

If the engineer was any good he would know how to default the codes.

We had an instance recently where we were taking over an installation. The engineer code was locked. we asked the existing alarm company to default the code. Sure enough they agreed as long as we paid £500 + VAT up front. I complained to NSI, apparently there is nothing they can do. We paid the £500.

We had an instance recently where we were taking over an installation. The engineer code was locked. we asked the existing alarm company to default the code. Sure enough they agreed as long as we paid £500 + VAT up front. I complained to NSI, apparently there is nothing they can do. We paid the £500.

Did the client owe any money or rent the kit?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Swapping the controls would have been cheaper?

Humm.. the first line said you know what your doing then the rest says you don't lol

As said new control panel PCB and eng for the day would have been half the cost.