Security Installer Community

Act Battery Tester Needed

timmo66

No ****.

the act ibt did not use the temperature in its calculations.

so why display it in both flavours? my grey gold is seriously affected on cold or very hot days, i already know its hot or cold!

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Problem being this,

Lets say you have a 7Ah battery that's been installed for a few years, You chuck your 10watt car bulb on it,  

How on earth does that prove the battery capacity, If the 7Ah is almost dead at less than 1Ah capacity it will not show on your car bulb.

So, I presume that from this you would deem this to be satisfactory ??   The fail replace rate is 4.5Ah on a 7Ah battery, Below this we will scrap it.

I still have my old traffic light version,  

If the IBT fails it, I pop the old version on and test it, Gets rid of the surface charge then hit it again with the IBT for a correct reading

I cay correct as meaning this is tried and tested with 3 different IBT testers and with very minor Ah change

7AH battery should deliver 7 amps@ 12 volts or one hour - so anyone got a spare hour to prove that? a 10 watt bulb on a good charged battery will draw a little over an amp, your meter will show an initial rapid drop but should hold @ about 11.50 volts after a minute, any drop quicker it gets kicked. I have no need to know anything more to make that decision, it is simply under performing - what value is in knowing it is delivering 4.43 amps when it is designed to deliver 7 amps? not like you can claim for it from anyone under warrantee.

As you say, the recommended chuck out voltages quoted on the unit, but pointless in my view.

Your good condition full charged battery will deliver the rated standby time, if your system rates having a 7 amp, as opposed to say. 3.5 amp why would you then keep an obviously under parr battery that tests estimated @ just above half those suggested minimum change limits?

likely it will need changing next visit anyway, so what you saving anyone while risking more false alarms from spurious prolonged power cuts? meanwhile the client could be benefiting from a longer at least as designed for standby time, they won't get from effectively half the available capacity.

Being a one man band, i try very hard to build out and so avoid any possible cause for faults, incorrect battery strategy is possibly the simplest fault to eradicate yet one of the most common cause's of false alarms.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

There is no way you can correctly calculate the required standby Ah capacity of 12hr / 24hr or above for graded installations with a car bulb

If the recommended requirements for a 7Ah are to replace at 4.55Ah, Then its binned...  I wont even use it for smaller systems, Its scrapped

Taking into consideration the environmental aspects, Temperature etc, If its dropped from 7Ah to 4.55, Its going to drop further within months

Under the term (Preventative) Maintenance,  I will be preventing a potential callback when the system dies after a couple of hours on standby

Apart from that, Your paperwork will or at least should show a history of the readings, It will be clear that its been neglected and left in regardless.

Nah,  Not for me...  If its unfit, Scrap it. 

Archived