Security Installer Community

Help Please From Some Electrical Types

AdrianMealing

nurse!!!! he's out of bed again

Nope! - alarm motion detectors are often supplied with strips of adhesive lens masking material, allowing precice adjustment of required detection area.

In this use, i.e, masking out a doorway i'd expect to be pretty simple task. i have done this many times and in my own utility room, to prevent walking past in the passage from operating the light

Very simple solution, and nothing less of a 'can do' attitude i'd expect to be shown by any engineer working with (or for) me.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Got me thinking now, Arf, you got any links to the bits I need, appe pie and cream, and no insulation itch just might do it

There are many ways to skin this 'cat', seems from the lack of replies and idea's put forward, seems i am the custodian of most of them.

without knowing the layout and speaking with your Mum, you have to decide. Not being rude, i know your a 'techi', we are both "12 volt cowboys", trust me confidence is not ti be taken as competence, be very careful with mains, it really can kill you.

You have the presence switch, some are 90 deg others do near 180 deg, wall mount and ceiling mounted where you can have 360 degree's, so choose whats most suitable, but i'd not bother using the light detector just leave just leave fully on

Another alternative :

You have access to above this light, could you not simply run a T&E1mm cable to a convenient spot for Mum (and not messing up decor), fit a simple switch that is in series with the light. Then, even if she leaves it switched off, hopefully she will have i'd hope enough light from the main lamps to see.

Yet Another Option -: one might cause even you a red face lol!

I'd guess you have installed an alarm system, if it has a programmable output, get it to follow the detector in that room or an extra one placed in the best location, use that as a presence detector or control with a wireless button, or a wired switch.

All you need then is a general purpose relay interface from the output to cut the power ti the bulb as needed.

Dam, am i too just good or what? :)

sounds a bodge as per.

darn, only just spotted this post.

do tell why GC? (or is it as the forums wanna be younge gun your just jealous this old fart came up with a smart idea?)

@adrian your welcome, i'd be wary of messing existing cables while not understanding how it is wired, as it might get expensive to find a spark that can get you back to square one, let alone to what you wanted to achieve at the start (and no apple pie let alone a sniff of cream :) ).

i am not a sparks by trade, i would not advise switching anything via the neutral alone, as this could leave a 'live' hazard at the rose, as would feeding the bulb before the switch. Having switched off to change a bulb, if it breaks you can end up with an exposed live element presented.

i'm just being careful in asking, no disrespect but do you understand how two point light switching is wired?

MK mate. Honeywell. Avoid!

Ok, seriously, so there are two lights that come on at once with 2 single gang, 2 way switches.

Looks like they have brought the neutrals into the switch too.

However, I can only see one switched wire going out; so I don't think you are going to be able to separate them

at the wall :(

think this might be the diagram of how it has been wired (but using old colours?).

post-7025-0-02262200-1390841198_thumb.jp

Id say not if the neutral appears at the switch then out again...

tbh, here is where i bow to others experience, from what i see the blacks are simply taped together, but i wonder if are true neutrals? so could they be a red herring?

possibly it was originally done by a trained sparks - but then who really knows that for sure and dangerous to assume.

Archived