Security Installer Community

Help Please From Some Electrical Types

AdrianMealing

Evening guys,

OK i need some help, my mother in law wants to change the lighting in  her front ro0om. She has two fittings, and two single switches, which can control the two fittings. I need if possible to change one of the switches to a double so she can turn off one set of lights on an evening. Don't want to lose the second switch as she uses this at the other end of the room. So ideal situation will be second switch controls only one sent of lights, double switch controls both lights independently, with one set linked to the second switch, does that make sense? Hers is what i have now. If its easier i can draw this out.

post-11108-0-52226100-1390674141_thumb.jpost-11108-0-43272900-1390674158_thumb.jpost-11108-0-34458200-1390674177_thumb.j

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

MK mate. Honeywell. Avoid!

Ok, seriously, so there are two lights that come on at once with  2 single gang, 2 way switches.

Looks like they have brought the neutrals into the switch too.

However, I can only see one switched wire going out; so I don't think you are going to be able to separate them

at the wall :(

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Damn, that's not good, i had the fittings of as well, only got black red and earth in each one, as you can see the two blacks are thereto in a choc block, does that make a difference? is there anyway to separate the lights but at only one switch, (the proposed new double) and have the secondary switch with the blue and yellow in just control one set of lights? I have access to the loft space so i could reroute cables if required. (It's a council bungalow)

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

only got black red and earth in each one, as you can see the two blacks are thereto in a choc block,

I'm guessing, for some reason, they've gone L N into the switch, then L N out, quite safe, just unusual, normally loop-in type wiring.

I have access to the loft space so i could reroute cables if required.

Have you been up there yet? Suspect you'll find a JB - perhaps once a single central fitting - although the N blocks appearing sort of make this less likely.

And, overall no, you would have to have 2 switches at each end if you wanted to keep 2 way. Which would mean extra wires :(

Funny enough I am going through the exact same ballache right now trying to put the 2 way on the extension office also in the kitchen, which never did

have a 'back door' switch....

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

No was never a single fitting, always been the two, not been in te loft yet, will get up ther tomorrow and have a look. So is there a way even with extra cables, i can fish it through the wall, or use existing cable to pull new ones through.

Other option is to remove energy saving bulbs and replace both existing switches with dimmers, that would work i guess?

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

Lightwaverf is quite a good range for this sort of thing, as well as the standard stuff they have wireless wall mount switches that are just 433mhz battery operated transmitters that you then pair with their wall mount dimmers, dimmable bulbs or plugtop or concealed in wall receiver modules. The options for placement are limitless and it makes wiring a lot easier.

Yeah tempted myself but have managed to pull most of the wires now on my job.

Would have been a nightmare but plumbers already circ sawed and screwed most

of the boards over the kitchen...

But if youve got access above and wires in stud wall prob just as easy to do

it old school, less to go wrong too.

Well...

Youll need an extra 3 core twin and earth from the first switch to the other switch. Then, youll have to separate the lights in the loft, and run an extra twin and earth from the switch with the neutral block to the 2nd fitting...

At the switch with the neutral block, the Common needs to be fed with a live, the red or Brown wire on the 3 core being joined to the fitting.

Archived