Security Installer Community

Best Dvr

kingkongdaz

I have one running SME the other is a WHS running my Plex media server about 8TB nearly 30% full of movies in MTV format. I think mine were £50 cash back when I purchased them so even cheaper than £120.00, James put me on to them. I have even thought about using them as DVRs but I dont think the processor is powerful enough for that

2.2ghz I have it running a backup proxy which takes a beating but not sure how it would standup to a proper beating.

The reason I ask is I'm toying (still) with ripping my dvd's to HDD  & was looking at NAS's the other day

Micros severs can only support max 4 x 2tb hard drives so might not be the best solution for very large amounts of storage. Ideal for what I want as you don't want too many virtual machines running on a single drive due to throughput issues.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

The reason I ask is I'm toying (still) with ripping my dvd's to HDD  & was looking at NAS's the other day

These Micro machines are great value you can fit a DVD player in the top so ripping the DVD is so much easier I have a plug in DVD player as well (I upgraded the RAM to 8gb so it can deal with two DVDs at once) you can buy whs on ebay for £50 or you can use xp, win7 or 8,  ubuntu, mint, or one of the other linux derivatives  as your os. Cheap with £50 cash back http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp

Referring back to the original post, we have recently launched a new range of DVRs which offer remote viewing without the need for setting up any port forwarding in the router (or using UPnP). A simple start up wizard takes care of the whole thing. Your device ID and password allows you to access the DVR via web browser, CMS and mobile devices. It even goes so far as to allow you to scan a self generated QR code from the DVR GUI, so you don't even need to enter the site details into your mobile phone app.

Darran, if this is of interest I can send you some pricing and information.

Kind regards,

Rakesh

Fair play

Also going back to the op I think £25 is a fair price for port forwarding.

It's all very well saying it takes minutes, but that's bollox tbh. Trouble with domestic his there's far too many makes & models out there. Take the other day, I had two by home hub 3's. First one done was done in minutes, no problems.

Second one would not open for love nor money, must have spent an hour ******* about with it. Turns out its a type A that needs to have the item in the dchp table even if it' has a static address. The whole thing was just a pita compared to the type b that forwarded first time.

Edited by 9651

Fair play

Also going back to the op I think £25 is a fair price for port forwarding.

It's all very well saying it takes minutes, but that's bollox tbh. Trouble with domestic his there's far too many makes & models out there. Take the other day, I had two by home hub 3's. First one done was done in minutes, no problems.

Second one would not open for love nor money, must have spent an hour ******* about with it. Turns out its a type A that needs to have the item in the dchp table even if it' has a static address. The whole thing was just a pita compared to the type b that forwarded first time.

The chap who did mine took him an hour, he was fuming. Windows 8, trying to get round it... He told me it usually only takes 5-10 mins, then on the other hand you can get nightmare set ups.  Paying him £25 to sort all this out is peanuts. Well I personally think so.   On the other hand, I should know how to do it....  

These Micro machines are great value you can fit a DVD player in the top so ripping the DVD is so much easier I have a plug in DVD player as well (I upgraded the RAM to 8gb so it can deal with two DVDs at once) you can buy whs on ebay for £50 or you can use xp, win7 or 8,  ubuntu, mint, or one of the other linux derivatives  as your os. Cheap with £50 cash back http://www.serversdirect.co.uk/Hewlett_Packard_HP_Micro_G7_N54L_NHP_250GB_EU_Svr_704941-421/version.asp

I bought my latest QNAP NAS box from serversdirect.  Was a bit concerned as they had mixed reviews on the web and I was spending 2.5k on my first order with them. They delivered within a week and the price was the cheapest around - so a positive experience for me.

The chap who did mine took him an hour, he was fuming. Windows 8, trying to get round it... He told me it usually only takes 5-10 mins, then on the other hand you can get nightmare set ups.  Paying him £25 to sort all this out is peanuts. Well I personally think so.   On the other hand, I should know how to do it....

Reading that, he's only done the one for you - and with some difficulty.

I'm struggling to see how he'll be doing them for you at £25 out in the field.