Security Installer Community

Fire System Design

timmo66

Guys,

I have been fitting fire alarms for quite a number of years now, but for some reason I have never really wanted to dig into anything deeper. I turn up with my drawing, fit, test, job done.

Now I imagine, if done properly, there is a lot of design and cost work to be done before I get there. For example, system type, cable calculations, loop calculations, sounder circuit volt drop etc etc.

Without giving away top secret information, you guys who are doing the designing for your companies, do you mind giving me a sneak peak into your world?

If you're really interested in the meat and bones the FIA do courses on it which either you or your company can pay to be on. Very helpful along with the stuff manufacturers put out. Hochiki do a nice little guide for 5266 and 5839.

All this is great for regulations. What to put where etc.. but what about when you are planning the installation? This cant be done by the engineer on the first day of the job because you would have to have costed for cable runs etc.

For the larger sites, I assume you calculate loop lengths and loads, sounder volt drop etc etc?

If you're really interested in the meat and bones the FIA do courses on it which either you or your company can pay to be on. Very helpful along with the stuff manufacturers put out. Hochiki do a nice little guide for 5266 and 5839.

I have spoke to my boss about getting on a course. I mentioned FIA, especially after speaking to one of their guys at IFSEC. Their guy also mentioned at the time that soon they were hoping to be able to offer qualifications, not just a training course.

Archived