Security Installer Community

Going Self Employed

paul44

I second that.

But - 1st time I tried this, I got distracted by electrical work to the detriment of developing the security business.

Then when that contract dried up, I went back to no security leads as I hadn't been able to keep my eye on

marketing, getting approved etc... (this was nearly 10 years ago mind and I'd argue that was more relevent then).

Be conscious all the time of what you are taking on and how it will help you - or not.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

I have thought about it, however the pay most companies are offering is low

I would consider trying to get into a company thats got a large variety of contracts, and room for you to progress.For example graded engineers,juniors,seniors etc.

I have been out of my apprenticeship time for a few years now and am on more than you mentioned. Theres plenty of kit and bits I don't know but it's all an experience whether its good or bad.

I quite like going to work Monday to Friday, not having to participate in a call out rotor or worrying where the work is coming from.

I should of gone SE about 8 years ago when i lived at home. As I had really no bills and loads of money in the bank. Now I have 3 kids and shed loads of bills. So I would need constant money in the bank (as every on does). I work for a local company on good pay and things are ok. No where to progress to. Might have to look around again.

I quite like going to work Monday to Friday, not having to participate in a call out rotor or worrying where the work is coming from.

IMO Engineers sharpen their teeth on call. I would take one who's been on call over one who hasn't 9 times out of 10.

I should of gone SE about 8 years ago when i lived at home. As I had really no bills and loads of money in the bank. Now I have 3 kids and shed loads of bills. So I would need constant money in the bank (as every on does). I work for a local company on good pay and things are ok. No where to progress to. Might have to look around again.

Homer-Simpson-On-Having-3-Kids-and-No-Mo

IMO Engineers sharpen their teeth on call. I would take one who's been on call over one who hasn't 9 times out of 10.

Thats fair enough,but I wouldn't.Our installation engineers do not cover callout nor do our systems engineers.Which are by far the best engineers out of all disciplines in my area,applying that type of theory wouldn't work in all cases.

I would say in the early days of learning. on call does make you sharper, you have the extra motivation to learn as your crapping your pants about getting a call and looking like a twot.

From what i have seen people tend to step their game up when landed with OC duty, established engineers probably makes little difference

Ive been here. I went Self and was introduced to a few companys and I did subbing in various Supermarkets Universitys etc. In the end I had the big company I was subbing too messing me about with a lot of cash. I have a family so called it a day as I couldn't live wondering if the money I was banking on turning up or not. If you have a bit of financial oomph behind you and can afford to go without pay for a cpl of months then there is certainly work out there.

Archived