Security Installer Community

Royal Mail Sale And Romec

from what i've see of it's operations i guess not long.

several years back i got involved with ROMEC, who were the installers of siphons doors for Post Office Counters, during an upgrade program. ROMEC had it all sewn up and said they needed 6 - 9 months notice. Building contractors went ape, so it got put out to tender. That eventually through contacts filtered own to me.

I was was asked could i remove and reinstate during building works, replied as long as i have a diagram for control unit it should be fine.

On 1st one i'm told i can't get in until after 18:00 on the Friday, arrived with my team and found builders got in 16:00, and the doors were already in the skip with the control unit - no diagrams, not only that, but it was now 2 x 3 door siphons and the controls were only designed for a 2 door, bit tricky to say the least.

The buttons used were simple plastic retractable's (n/o bell push's), drilled to take LEDs - with no 'love' shown and a right mess. here i stood, Friday night with nothing to replace anything with.

Went home scoured my shelves for bits ended up designing and making the controllers from scratch, bought new switches from CEF, mounted the LED's Returned Sunday and installed it.

Later i did see drawings left on a site, AO size in one of the control units. Apparently only 2 engineers in London could install them, made up on site old school alarm fashion. massive old fashion resistors mounted on tag strips wired to black terminal blocks all screwed down on a wooden plate inside an adaptable box.

As each job we went to invariably needed more than the doors it had originally, and existing buttons smashed to oblivion.i designed a better standard unit with 4 door capability called the Quadralock. Had aircraft aluminum plates made up to fit standard electrical back boxes and engraved, using VR buttons, and pre-fitted with 12v LEDS.

These buttons design to me was an obvious better idea but were not available anywhere at the time, have now been copied to the point they are very common, in much the same format as my original spec.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived