Security Installer Community

Royal Mail Sale And Romec

from what i've see of it's operations i guess not long.

several years back i got involved with ROMEC, who were the installers of siphons doors for Post Office Counters, during an upgrade program. ROMEC had it all sewn up and said they needed 6 - 9 months notice. Building contractors went ape, so it got put out to tender. That eventually through contacts filtered own to me.

I was was asked could i remove and reinstate during building works, replied as long as i have a diagram for control unit it should be fine.

On 1st one i'm told i can't get in until after 18:00 on the Friday, arrived with my team and found builders got in 16:00, and the doors were already in the skip with the control unit - no diagrams, not only that, but it was now 2 x 3 door siphons and the controls were only designed for a 2 door, bit tricky to say the least.

The buttons used were simple plastic retractable's (n/o bell push's), drilled to take LEDs - with no 'love' shown and a right mess. here i stood, Friday night with nothing to replace anything with.

Went home scoured my shelves for bits ended up designing and making the controllers from scratch, bought new switches from CEF, mounted the LED's Returned Sunday and installed it.

Later i did see drawings left on a site, AO size in one of the control units. Apparently only 2 engineers in London could install them, made up on site old school alarm fashion. massive old fashion resistors mounted on tag strips wired to black terminal blocks all screwed down on a wooden plate inside an adaptable box.

As each job we went to invariably needed more than the doors it had originally, and existing buttons smashed to oblivion.i designed a better standard unit with 4 door capability called the Quadralock. Had aircraft aluminum plates made up to fit standard electrical back boxes and engraved, using VR buttons, and pre-fitted with 12v LEDS.

These buttons design to me was an obvious better idea but were not available anywhere at the time, have now been copied to the point they are very common, in much the same format as my original spec.

sounds interesting! any pics?

my favourite jobs are the ones where i have to think up and make a custom solution. when you actually make/mod things on site and the customer can see, you get good kudos points too  :D

I reckon Jesus would have been a good person to take for a night on the piss.

Order 6 pints of water for you and your mates, Jesus just keeps turning it into your favourite beer!!

Order one Kebab on the way home, Jesus makes you 6

Only issue i can see is my landlord might not let hi in wearing a dress and sandals :beer:

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

my favourite jobs are the ones where i have to think up and make a custom solution. when you actually make/mod things on site and the customer can see, you get good kudos points too :D

a lot of really good design work go's unseen in most trades by clients, because clients only really notice when things don't work or go wrong. if it works and really well - they consider your just doing your job, and nothing more.

imho, having the eternal drive to making your self better or adapting something to make it work better than someone else designed, or to do more, is the main defining difference of attitudes between a decent fitter and and what makes a true engineer.

tbh designing anything can often be as infuriating as it is satisfying, simply because during the process you might keep coming up with seemingly better ideas, that then force you to change direction midway or start over ;).

Not if I am wearing my dress, sandals I can get away with as long as I don't wear socks with them :)

actually it's not wearing socks with sandals that upsets Mrs Mo, but wearing my sock suspenders - without the socks or the sandals ;)

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

im more interested what jesus was like..

iirc bit of a hippy type, anti-capaltists bit like you goncall - i reckoned that was due to his dad was some sort of big shot, and bigger than mine - you know the sort!

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

iirc bit of a hippy type, anti-capaltists bit like you goncall - i reckoned that was due to his dad was some sort of big shot, and bigger than mine - you know the sort!

i dont belive he knew his dad,in your type speak that would be 'i quont belif in dog..'

my favourite jobs are the ones where i have to think up and make a custom solution. when you actually make/mod things on site and the customer can see, you get good kudos points too :D

Agree wholeheartedly. The jobs where you prove to yourself that you do know what you're doing

Archived