Security Installer Community

Do Insurance Companies Listen To The Risc Authority?

The ABI used to publish guidance. Since then the RISCAuthority has taken that technical advice role.

RISCAuthority is made up of representatives from the major insurers, Richard Underwood form Aviva being the author of many of the technical documents.

LPS1277 Issue 2 was used by CSL to "match" Redcare in the insurance market.

Both CSL and Redcare use BRE LPS1277 Issue 2 logos etc in their literature - you only need to look at the footer of their literature to see that is the case.

Issue 2 is out of date and the RISCAuthority themselves would say they have done a poor job of promoting it.

Additionally CSL have advocated heavily against it on the old info4security website.

However things are changing. 

We regularly get told by insurers that they have no control over what the installer puts in.

We also get told by installers that they have to install to specifications.

To clear this up you have the chance to inform brokers that they are out of date and out of touch with the market. Use standards to install what you prefer. There are several products accredited.

Public perception has always been a problem, when left to marketing budgets to educate the mass market.....then who wins?

Generally the people with the biggest budget................in most cases the manufacturers of product. Insurance companies tend to be believed because they are there for the customers benefit and of course they couldn't be wrong in their view......could they?

We all know that generally the insurers are not up to date and a lot get educated by hype and Pr from manufacturers, many in the job of risk assessment don't event know how all the alarm parts work together, let alone how they meet the standards. But that doesn't matter does it? they have there company crib sheet that allows them to give the correct advice to the customer.

In some respects the inspectorates could have done a lot more to shape the industry by educating the end user rather than fighting for members, that in itself is an issue as with no members there is no revenue for marketing.

How do you educate the end user? The installer can but a lot will see this as you simply trying to upsell the install.........................how to solve the problem well that's not an easy one, especially as the value of alarm's is being reduced all the time.

Reading that letter is sounds like a clueless broker

If this crashes you only have GPS signalling to rely on which sometimes can only access certain areas of the building, so you could have  a break-in in  part of the building and the alarm wouldn’t be activated

He seems to think each detector has its own signalling!

I would be advising the customer that his broker is a liability, if he hasnt bothered to find out about something as important as security then I would not trust him to have bothered to check that he is providing the right policy, I would be seriosly worried if I got an email like that from my broker 

Reading that letter is sounds like a clueless broker

He seems to think each detector has its own signalling!

I would be advising the customer that his broker is a liability, if he hasnt bothered to find out about something as important as security then I would not trust him to have bothered to check that he is providing the right policy, I would be seriosly worried if I got an email like that from my broker

+1

he has no clue what hes talking about and hes supposed to give up to date sound advice/ guidlines to the customer,

I can see what risc are trying to do but how many years have they been at this and failing. Does the insurance world need a rethink? I'm sure 'surveyors' like this will be making daft statements in other things/industries.

problem here is that the client will be guided by what they see as an independent advisor. Can you imagine what else he is advising on.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I can see what risc are trying to do but how many years have they been at this and failing. Does the insurance world need a rethink? I'm sure 'surveyors' like this will be making daft statements in other things/industries.

problem here is that the client will be guided by what they see as an independent advisor. Can you imagine what else he is advising on.

Glad it isn't national security.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

This is the biggest thing that puts me off webway, I have already done all this with Dualcom and SSAIB. We had an AXA LA say he was not a fan of Webway, although they have LPS in their spec.

Not webways fault but if it was my company I would make it someones full time role to start educating these insurers.

Archived