Security Installer Community

Working Hours And Rest Time

abbz

The question has been answered beforehand.

With both a Nationals perspective and a small companies.

Are you really this slow on the uptake? Is this your normal state?

You should go to bed now as Monday will be a struggle otherwise.

Do you have children?

If so do you remember when they were born?

Did you ever get up to feed/change/comfort them?

Were you that employee with little or no sleep going to work? Did your employer allow you to come to work?

arf man,answer the question would you as a manager force someone to come into work after they had been on call the night before knowing they had been out and that they are tired through lack of sleep,lets take out the fact your a machine and dont need sleep..

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know as well as me you cannot force anyone to do anything.

So stop trying to look clever when all you are doing is running around in circles.

what circles are they ox,this thread went into rest time questions..

what circles are they ox,this thread went into rest time questions..

just to clarify..

We often talk of an employer's 'duty of care' to their employees. But just what does this duty consist of?

Employers have a duty of care to their employees, which means that they should take all steps which are reasonably possible to ensure their health, safety and wellbeing. Demonstrating concern for the physical and mental health of your workers shouldn't just be seen as a legal duty - there's a clear business case, too. It can be a key factor in building trust and reinforcing your commitment to your employees, and can help improve staff retention, boost productivity and pave the way for greater employee engagement.

Legally, employers must abide by relevant health & safety and employment law, as well as the common law duty of care. They also have a moral and ethical duty not to cause, or fail to prevent, physical or psychological injury, and must fulfil their responsibilities with regard to personal injury and negligence claims.

Requirements under an employer's duty of care are wide-ranging and may manifest themselves in many different ways, such as:

Clearly defining jobs and undertaking risk assessments

Ensuring a safe work environment

Providing adequate training and feedback on performance

Ensuring that staff do not work excessive hours

Providing areas for rest and relaxation

Protecting staff from bullying or harassment, either from colleagues or third parties

Protecting staff from discrimination

Providing communication channels for employees to raise concerns

Consulting employees on issues which concern them.

An employer can be deemed to have breached their duty of care by failing to do everything that was reasonable in the circumstances to keep the employee safe from harm. Employees also have responsibilities for their health and wellbeing at work - for example, they are entitled by law to refuse to undertake work that isn't safe without fear of disciplinary action.

Acas runs comprehensive training courses for employers in looking after the health and wellbeing of their employees. Visit the Acas training and business solutions section for more information.

not the point man,if its dangerous for one its dangerous for the next regardless,ill bet a pound of shittte not one manager or md will post they force their employess to do it,while doing the exact same...

Sure about that?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

I paraphase, but stock up on andrex and kleenex if you employ?

:yes:

And if you employ union thinking men . . .

:Whip:

just to clarify..

We often talk of an employer's 'duty of care' to their employees. But just what does this duty consist of?

Employers have a duty of care to their employees, which means that they should take all steps which are reasonably possible to ensure their health, safety and wellbeing. Demonstrating concern for the physical and mental health of your workers shouldn't just be seen as a legal duty - there's a clear business case, too. It can be a key factor in building trust and reinforcing your commitment to your employees, and can help improve staff retention, boost productivity and pave the way for greater employee engagement.

Legally, employers must abide by relevant health & safety and employment law, as well as the common law duty of care. They also have a moral and ethical duty not to cause, or fail to prevent, physical or psychological injury, and must fulfil their responsibilities with regard to personal injury and negligence claims.

Requirements under an employer's duty of care are wide-ranging and may manifest themselves in many different ways, such as:

Protecting staff from bullying or harassment, either from colleagues or third parties

An employer can be deemed to have breached their duty of care by failing to do everything that was reasonable in the circumstances to keep the employee safe from harm. Employees also have responsibilities for their health and wellbeing at work - for example, they are entitled by law to refuse to undertake work that isn't safe without fear of disciplinary action.

Acas runs comprehensive training courses for employers in looking after the health and wellbeing of their employees. Visit the Acas training and business solutions section for more information.

:bsflag:

:yes:

And if you employ union thinking men . . .

:Whip:

:bsflag:

from a man who braggs about how many times he's been taken to a tribunal,despite only being a small employer...and thinks he's a great boss..

One of my own staff is a member here is he not who confirms what a wonderful company we are to work for?

you still haven't answered the previous question despite the views your happy to portray as a tough guy employer

One of my own staff is a member here is he not who confirms what a wonderful company we are to work for?

what do the other two think.

post 70

post 70

I see. I missed that as I'm feeling a little tired.

I'd love to answer but I'm entitled to a break so off for a lie down and I'll respond when I've had my rest.

just to clarify..

A perfectly fair and reasonable expectation.

Any Manager/Proprietor who thinks different is in the wrong job and clearly has no understanding of their role.

It might work for big companies but not for the little guys, it would be quite easy to get another engineer to do your jobs when there's lots of them. Not so easy if there's only 2 engineers

It might work for big companies but not for the little guys, it would be quite easy to get another engineer to do your jobs when there's lots of them. Not so easy if there's only 2 engineers

+1

post 70

post 70

I've had a rest now before my tiring journey to Bristol tonight. Will probably be 2am before I get to bed and have to be at a meeting at 9. Maybe I should refuse and let everyone down?

In answer to your question, I can't force anyone to do anything, but as you are aware continuous employment is subject to satisfactory performance and in the early part of someone's employment it is much easier to remove a poor performing employee than it is for one who has length of service.

I've had a rest now before my tiring journey to Bristol tonight. Will probably be 2am before I get to bed and have to be at a meeting at 9. Maybe I should refuse and let everyone down?

In answer to your question, I can't force anyone to do anything, but as you are aware continuous employment is subject to satisfactory performance and in the early part of someone's employment it is much easier to remove a poor performing employee than it is for one who has length of service.

Stop being a pussy, you've had all day off :yes:

As for your last comment that just smacks of being a bully (thus reaffirming the opinions of some).

+1

i thought thats how you would roll....its called constructive dismissal in the real world,oh hang on you already know that..

as for your travel,maybe you should have got there earlier then you will be in bed sooner....or just travel in the morning with no sleep.remember you dont answer to no one,your the man,the boss

Tbh i have worked without 11 hours rest many times before.

The worst probably 4 hours sleep, but not often.

Boss tells me to lie in when this happens.( but not 11 hours worth.

If i had jobs booked in i would attend them.

If i worked for a national i would be less inclined if im honest, as they have a lot more bodies to cover my jobs, however i would probably go anyway.

Driving tired is dangerous though for sure.

So window down music up and costa stops required,

Tbh i have worked without 11 hours rest many times before.

The worst probably 4 hours sleep, but not often.

Boss tells me to lie in when this happens.( but not 11 hours worth.

If i had jobs booked in i would attend them.

If i worked for a national i would be less inclined if im honest, as they have a lot more bodies to cover my jobs, however i would probably go anyway.

Driving tired is dangerous though for sure.

So window down music up and costa stops required,

thats how it is for my lads and more often myself.......

As a smaller co (than STD, FATTY, Queens, Unable, SeaCum etc......lol)   tiredness is often the battle. But common sense must prevail and give and take between boss and employer.

I think it's all got to be played by ear really and as long as everyone is happy then there is no problem.

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

See, that just seems like bad planning in my book...

(than STD, FATTY, Queens, Unable, SeaCum etc......lol)  

You really do need to get out more.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Well lets hope none of you "hero's" ever fall asleep at the wheel and kill an innocent member of the public just because you work for a small company. Yes I would rather be on the dole then be locked up on a murder charge. I'm sure everyone has seen the roadside signs tiredness can kill .. Take a break !

I remember taking a contract on. 21 sites all to be installed with CCTV and guards will be of site at said time then you take over.

We had 2 engineers plus myself. Worked all day plus I took on call.. and my daughter was just born.

After 8 months of everything going on I was ready to collapse in a heap.

Fitting the sites plus intruder then the guard response, I was getting around 8 calls a night plus the wee lass up wanting fed and greeting etc.

The wife used to call me zombie!

Just get back in bed on a call and then the wee one was greeting, then it's an intruder install at 8am.

Then calm, I went on holiday for the first time in 4 years...... Then alarm protection chuky wee boy arrived lol!!

It's all calmed down now and no more children thank god.

!

Archived