Security Installer Community

Allowing Leading Digits On Codes

I'd love the high security option of pin and prox, but the standards do not allow its use.  

You can. but not under 6.4.5

Do ACPO now insist (or is it strongly advise?) that prox tags are used?

No its just one of the acceptable options to them.

Interesting. I've only had a quick look at the prox features on the panels I have.

The issue with prox is the ease they fobs can be copied. But most users are not interested in this from a security viewpoint... at the moment.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

6.4.6 Arf ref ARC

? Thanks, Paul, I was referring to ARC or in my younger Days aka 'CS' (Central Station) mainly over private wire, but could be done with digicom which at lest tested the line twice a day.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

due to timer bleep You can. but not under 6.4.5

No its just one of the acceptable options to them.

The issue with prox is the ease they fobs can be copied. But most users are not interested in this from a security viewpoint... at the moment.

in the days before keypads panels would usually be under the stairs in domestics, small key or Ronis locks (omg, times I filed the pip off the key to get the lock realigned ;) ), I've known of several situations were a nervous key holder has knocked themselves spark out, in a panic fog drop the keys into the abyss of junk, internal 6" bell often located with the controls sounds, startles the key holder who stands up out of shock smacking their head on the underside of the stairs. 

lucky they was before 'no win no fee' came about!

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

You can. but not under 6.4.5

You saying under 6.4.3 that it is acceptable as Mr SSAIB recons it isn't? My original view was 6.4.3 would allow it but informed my view was wrong but it is only 6.4.5 that says single action.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

What is his issue under 8423 once confirm has been disabled. Single action is only relevant at 6.4.5

What about 6.4.3 where it's prevent entry until disarmed? I would have thought non single action would be fine as you can't get in until disarmed so the single action stuff is only for 6.4.5 (or as I see it anyway)

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Don't forget that after 21 key-presses most panels will go into keypad tamper.

So if you have entered the premises via the entry route and mess the code up you will get an unconfirmed signal followed by a tamper.

If audible only then the external would sound if armed. Or internal only if disarmed.

I prefer the not pressing clear to start the code again method, personally.

Some alarm panels like Premier for example, can block obvious or repetitive numbers to stop this.

You could also use a 6 digit code for extra security.

I think usability is a massive thing with alarms. I see exactly the same issue with door locks. Some people have three different locks on their door. A nightlatch and two keyed different lever locks. Three keys, two of which look the same to the user. So they only lock the nightlatch, if you are lucky.

Passing or mastering helps here.

A decent sized home can have a small master suite with owners having total access on one key and a gardener with just gate and side access.

Archived