Security Installer Community

The Ups And Downs And Ins And Out Of Spread Spectrum

I don't think there is anyway for an installer or consumer to know if "FHSS" or "rolling code" is good or bad. It's pretty hard to make these additional features make an alarm worse per se, but some of them concentrate on one (FHSS) and neglect others (encryption). Indeed, it wasn't until I looked into some of them in a lot of depth that I spotted problems.

I don't think the manufacturers make these mistakes deliberately, on the whole.

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

To add a little perspective.

Kits online to pick open car/van locks that disable the security system as it thinks the owner is there.

Then pushed/towed away.

Rolling codes and such on them as well, easilly grabbed as described.

A little grade 2 system against a 80K motor = motor taken. Especially with "letterbox" theft.

Knowingly.

As you say we trust the manufacturer to do a thorough job but as an installer, not manufacturer we wouldn't know. My tv has a thing on the back claiming compliance with all sorts but as a punter how would I know if it really did?

Quite, its increasingly just made up by Chinese companies and then goods are imported without any further checks - and don't expect any help if you spot them either. I was left unable to report it to anyone when a chain of local shops started selling glue guns with fake CE / ASTA marks on the moulded illegal unfused, unsleeved 13A plugs, because the local council had pulled the plug on anyone having direct contact with what little is left of trading standards. In the end I emailed the importer (packaging  had a Brum based postcode I googled) to be fair they started a voluntary recall. But no thanks to the official channels! Yeah I probably should get a life but that kind of tat could kill someone...

And its the same to a point with security. OK, the companies are a hell of a lot more established and traceable, and we can make sure we choose one that uses external test houses, but really - how much DO we ever know, without the skill and knowledge to open up and deconstruct in the way CG has done?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

As a rule we cant test stuff properly like this. We rely on honesty. I think when enforced 3rd party certing arrives some will be shocked. But as we have been discussing in the trade side regarding unregulated systems us there really any desire to pay this?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Quite, its increasingly just made up by Chinese companies and then goods are imported without any further checks - and don't expect any help if you spot them either. I was left unable to report it to anyone when a chain of local shops started selling glue guns with fake CE / ASTA marks on the moulded illegal unfused, unsleeved 13A plugs, because the local council had pulled the plug on anyone having direct contact with what little is left of trading standards. In the end I emailed the importer (packaging  had a Brum based postcode I googled) to be fair they started a voluntary recall. But no thanks to the official channels! Yeah I probably should get a life but that kind of tat could kill someone...

And its the same to a point with security. OK, the companies are a hell of a lot more established and traceable, and we can make sure we choose one that uses external test houses, but really - how much DO we ever know, without the skill and knowledge to open up and deconstruct in the way CG has done?

I'd have done the same. Safety is safety.

As a rule we cant test stuff properly like this. We rely on honesty. I think when enforced 3rd party certing arrives some will be shocked. But as we have been discussing in the trade side regarding unregulated systems us there really any desire to pay this?

I can't wait for this day. Especially for signalling devices :-

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Like James says, this is going to involve economics at some point.

Testing something to make sure it meets the current EN50131 specs isn't that hard - the tests are rigorously defined and really quite simple. It doesn't say anything about giving it to someone with free reign to break the system. That's going to cost a lot more money. Does anyone want to bear this cost? Probably not.

So why is it that IT security equipment is tested like this? Is it because more is at stake?

I have a blog, some of which is about alarm security and reverse engineering:
http://cybergibbons.com/

Archived