Security Installer Community

Snow Info For Employees And Employers

james.wilson

Problem is if you are too inflexible as an employer and insist it's unpaid then you risk employees coming to work under duress which can cost a lot more in the long run. Needs to be fair on both sides.

I also agree, and so long as I can afford to do so I do pay. However, this cannot continue indefinately and I intend to complain to Mr Cameron the I paid a small fortune in tax last year and road tax and council tax etc etc This snow stuff has to stop its every bloody year now and its not funny anymore

I also agree, and so long as I can afford to do so I do pay. However, this cannot continue indefinately and I intend to complain to Mr Cameron the I paid a small fortune in tax last year and road tax and council tax etc etc This snow stuff has to stop its every bloody year now and its not funny anymore

agree pete.bit of snow and the country stops,but lads whoever they work for are available for work,its not their fault the roads arnt clear and cant get where they need to be,so deserve to be paid,its not much difference as being stuck in traffic after an accident on the motorway which could be hours,i wouldnt expect to be docked...

agree pete.bit of snow and the country stops,but lads whoever they work for are available for work,its not their fault the roads arnt clear and cant get where they need to be,so deserve to be paid,its not much difference as being stuck in traffic after an accident on the motorway which could be hours,i wouldnt expect to be docked...

There is a difference IMO

Not turning in is different to turning in and then being stuck in traffic. 

Using your example. If an engineer didnt turn in till 1pm id call that late.

Id agree in a bit of give and take though but office staff are the same. ie not turning in.

I manage to get in and about. But we have decided to equip all the vans with snow socks. Tried it with one van and they have been brilliant.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

There is a difference IMO

Not turning in is different to turning in and then being stuck in traffic. 

Using your example. If an engineer didnt turn in till 1pm id call that late.

Id agree in a bit of give and take though but office staff are the same. ie not turning in.

I manage to get in and about. But we have decided to equip all the vans with snow socks. Tried it with one van and they have been brilliant.

i woudnt,he's at work,travelling to work etc,under the circs its not his fault,he's travelling in company time so is doing his duty,he's avaiable as in he's travelling to a job,snow/crash on road is beyond his control so deserves to be paid,imo again..

i woudnt,he's at work,travelling to work etc,under the circs its not his fault,he's travelling in company time so is doing his duty,he's avaiable as in he's travelling to a job,snow/crash on road is beyond his control so deserves to be paid,imo again..

Have to agree.

But what would you want? A man in and a wrecked car/van?

The usual customer who is never available rings in and says do the PMV today as I am in and cannot get about................................guess what nor can we!

If you make the effort and get one job done you`re still withing PMV time limits.

An installation is another matter ( Not been unknown to sleep in van/on site if weather is dire to keep the install going.

Remember the fuel tanks blowing up a few years back on the M1, I still made it in everyday .................lots didnt bother. I think Ikea and a certain company owe me more than they gave in that instance :D

We all have to try and get in unless you can do remote servicing, Install is another ball game.

And personal ( Or others) safety should also be taken into account. But you still try IF it is possible.

As others have mentioned certain people should be driving in these (Adverse????) conditions.

I used to ride a motorbike in the snow we had yrs back that makes this look like confetti at a wedding.

Thats the key point. Getting to work is not on company time.

what about travelling from one job you got on time,the next you get stuck,do you dock your engineer that time,or engineer gets to site on time,kit doesnt get there and he's standing around doing nothing,docked or paid..

Thats the key point. Getting to work is not on company time.

Nice vid for one snow sock in sunshine......................................are you serious?

Now for the cracker.......................how much time should you allow to get to work?

40 mins?

4 hours?

8 hours?

And then do 8 hours,

Get home another 7 hours after you finish?

By then your up again going to work.........................

I think some here have done 36/48 hours non stop on call out and work, you do when younger .  I see the point of your not paid to get to work............I used to go from Leeds to London everyday and was never late (once I got another Motorbike). But where do YOU draw the line James?

what about travelling from one job you got on time,the next you get stuck,do you dock your engineer that time,or engineer gets to site on time,kit doesnt get there and he's standing around doing nothing,docked or paid..

Been there done that in good weather, "Go to Wales and fit the Redcare"  get there its not even installed yet. OKAY divert to Manchester do something there and go to Portsmouth next day.

Back to Wales and then down to Bournemouth, a few examples.....................I was paid to drive more than do any bloody work!!!

I think less than a handful here have done this, unless being subbies for a national.

NO once they are in they are in. Bear in mind im just offering opinion here.

But paid. Like i said like office staff. Once they get in they are paid ie if they cant work cos the computers buggered etc they would still be paid.

Id agree if its impossible and as you say it isnt their fault. But it aint mine either. Employer is always on a lose lose. 

Maybe i should call the customer who pays us and say we cant get to you cos of the snow but ill pop your invoice in the post for today as its not our fault we cant get to you?

Nice vid for one snow sock in sunshine......................................are you serious?

They work really well mate.

Now for the cracker.......................how much time should you allow to get to work?

Not my issue. Getting to work. They could live (1 does) 5 doors down from the office, I live 40 miles away. What time i leave for work is my call. If it takes me 45 mins or not. 

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived