Security Installer Community

Opinions

Paul. Giles

What would the rest do in this situation:

Panel changed by subby 5/6 days ago.

Client triggers it accidently and it goes confirm, no probs, cancels within seconds.

They go to reset it at 2am but cant.

Ring our engineer, its not set up for RR so we had to attend.

Subby did not programme the RR

If that was one of our subbys, they would be covering the cost of the callout.

In our subbys agreements, they agree to covering the costs of rectifying things they do wrong. If possible we always give them the chance to go and fix the issue themselves in their time but for something where we are forced to act immediately like you faced, we'd dock he cost from their invoices.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Wouldnt happen here. It would have been:

panel programmed by the office.

Commissioned by the engieer.

IMO its your job to check your systems and this one wasnt commissioined. So you can do as Matt suggested and just because your controlling the purse strings dosent mean your right. The subby should not be liable for the correct design and commission of the system only the instal.

So i think to deduct is unfair. deduction is tantermount to bullying 

Customers!

IMO its your job to check your systems and this one wasnt commissioined. So you can do as Matt suggested and just because your controlling the purse strings dosent mean your right. The subby should not be liable for the correct design and commission of the system only the instal.

We do the same, the guys on site don't touch programming but is it unfair to make subbies correct their mistakes? After all when our engineers screw up its us that picks up the tab.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

In principal I agree with Matthew, subbies should correct their mistakes, but is this truly the subbies mistake? Surely he should have just fitted the panel ensured it was set-up for remote connection and the rest is up to the guys back in the office?

IF and i mean IF we use a subby they only install they do not commision.

I doubt you can deduct it will have to come out of the margin in the job. Tell him what has happened etc but i wouldnt dwell on it.

But you could use udl and ensure this is setup before the job is classed as 'commisioned'

Well he is not the standard "subby" as in just sent to install etc he does do servicing etc for us and does more than just fit to spec.

Didnt know you could sub out service?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

IMO its your job to check your systems and this one wasnt commissioined. So you can do as Matt suggested and just because your controlling the purse strings dosent mean your right. The subby should not be liable for the correct design and commission of the system only the instal.

Agreed.

Yes, we were not overly worried about it as we all get on very well.

Was just inquiring as to what the general opinion would be.

As for subbing out service, of course you can as many installers do for the nationals etc?

we still do a lot of subbing, sometimes we commission & signalling sometimes not.  if we'd done the install and not the commissioning (as a minimum we would change time/date, eng code, banner, text circuits and prove circuits working) but we didn't commission then i would argue we were not responsible for the RR problem as we were not contracted to do anything other than the basic install.  That said, even sometimes when we are only contracted to "basic install" we will also commission/signalling if we have time.  this had made me think though - if we were to commission (when we're not contracted to do so) and there was an issue later on we've made ourselves liable!!

Archived