Security Installer Community

Quality Work

Ronnie

Tut tut!, I thought the nacoss gold boys were a higher standard and compared silver to ssaib?

Just proves that this whole industry needs sorting IMO so everyone works to a standard.

It is just a joke now with all these rules.

We need one governing body that companies work to the rules.

Thing is, the 'issues' noted in them two  pictures whilst relevant are not trade specific. Even as a young apprentice or these days, a trainee, doing jobs like that used to be unacceptable and would result in a very humbling  experience before you put it right.

The fact that it happens with companies who claim to work to high standards and like to show the badge to price it shows just how little the badge is actually worth. Both inspectorates are only interested in growing their income stream.

Tut tut!, I thought the nacoss gold boys were a higher standard and compared silver to ssaib?

Just proves that this whole industry needs sorting IMO so everyone works to a standard.

It is just a joke now with all these rules.

We need one governing body that companies work to the rules.

Thing is, the 'issues' noted in them two  pictures whilst relevant are not trade specific. Even as a young apprentice or these days, a trainee, doing jobs like that used to be unacceptable and would result in a very humbling  experience before you put it right.

The fact that it happens with companies who claim to work to high standards and like to show the badge to price it shows just how little the badge is actually worth. Both inspectorates are only interested in growing their income stream.

agreed.  another post on here clearly backs that up.

I keep reading employees. This a side line for them not a firms job?

no, i am of the opinion that there are good and bad engineers and a good gold (or any for that matter) may employ bad engineers but that doesn't make them a rough firm!  i didn't want the post to become a gold bashing but more of a poor quality workmanship bashing.  however, they should be taking steps to ensure this type of work is not allowed.

With regards to having bad engineers. Is there any form of required exams for this industry? I worked for a Nacoss Gold for 10 years never had any formal training on alarms and then when looking for my new job I was asked a couple times what qualifications I have.

When I said I didn't but had 5 years experience doing alarms for a Nacoss gold company they put me through to the relevant person. 

From everything I can tell there isn't anything you "require" to work in the industry. Maybe there should be.

Well there is a security NVQ, although never seen anyone who has done it.

SIA would be a waste of time IMHO, another money grabber.

The skillset to work across all aspects is larger than most think. I doubt there could be a all in one package.  Although there should be something in place.

Although worked for a few (Duplicate as worked for some companies twice) companies, never had to produce anything, but did show the usual courses and electricals taken anyway,

But how can they test your work without taking you on?

There is also a City and Guilds qualification that IMO isn't fit to wipe one's **** with. I enrolled on the course before I got a job in this trade to try and make myself more employable as an apprentice but ended up leaving after two days. I don't think I did the wrong thing. I've always thought that a qualification will get you an interview but it's what you say in the interview that will get you the job. This industry has always struck me as valuing the skills and experience over the piece of paper. All in my opinion of course.

Trade Member

I got the best training when I was 17 years old.

I worked under a guy that was 50.

I was not allowed out a loft untill every cable was clipped by his way and if not done right I would start again.

For weeks it was tough then one day "fit that panel young un"

I knew from then that I had been accepted into the team.

!

Archived